nj123 is offline Member

squat problem...

i never do squats but always do leg press, but i finally got a buddy of mine to get a pass to the gym so i now have a spotter... well i thought i would do squats and when i started my first set i could barely do much weight and i couldnt believe it... on leg press i can do all kinds of weight and when i use to squat in baseball i always loved squats...my question is could it be that my leg muscles just werent use to that type of exercise and i need to work them out with some lighter weight to get them use to squats again? or what do yall think?

BDTR is offline Retired
    Squats aren't something you can jump right into after either never doing, or not doing for a long period of time. Just build the weight up slowly. Also it depends on how deep you were going on the leg presses, as many people only do partial reps. Hell when I first started I could barely squat 135, my form was terrible and the movement made me nervous and uncomfortable. Now i'm going ass to the floor with 500 lbs on my back, just keep at it and keep the weight low till you feel comfortable.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    bdtr has hit it right on the money. Keep it light and work on form until you grow comfortable with the lift.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    The right form is the answer. Make sure your form is proper and bury them. Take each one allthe way downtown. Then build up your weight. Do 12 reps 3 or more sets to build endurance.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Squats aren't something you can jump right into after either never doing, or not doing for a long period of time. Just build the weight up slowly. Also it depends on how deep you were going on the leg presses, as many people only do partial reps. Hell when I first started I could barely squat 135, my form was terrible and the movement made me nervous and uncomfortable. Now i'm going ass to the floor with 500 lbs on my back, just keep at it and keep the weight low till you feel comfortable.
    well said

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    squat uses all the stabilizer(sp?) muscles in your legs. you don't get that from leg press. good decision on starting squat back up tho, it's the best way you're going to build your legs up.

--hawk

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I thought i was gonna see that picture of that guy blowing his ass out of his ass when i saw this post. That ass is giving me nightmares.

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I thought i was gonna see that picture of that guy blowing his ass out of his ass when i saw this post. That ass is giving me nightmares.
    dear god don't bring that pic back... :confusion

Thread Information