End Of One is offline New Member

Please Help Me!!! Bulking probs :(

Well, I am into my third week bulking and have found that my lower back is killing me, my whole body feels drained, pumps aren't the same...even though I am taking like 3000-4000 calories a day and around 250g protein (Gear Free). Since around the end of the second week I have felt drained. Over the first 2 weeks i put on 11 lbs. My bw hasn't budged for around 5 days or so also. I'm thinking about alternating deadlift and squat every other week and not keeping both of them in my routine each week.

Overall these are my main probs:
    1. Feel tired/drained/achey since the end of 2nd week.
    2. Lower back soreness kicked in at start of 3rd week.
    3. Biceps not growing like rest of body (should I not do bi's the day
    after i do back?)

Here's my routine I've been following thus far:

Day 1: Incline DB Press - 5x5 Failure last two sets
    Flat DB Press - 5x5 Last two sets fail at or near 5 reps
    Incline DB Flyes - 1x8-10

Close Grip Bench Press - 2x6-8 Fail
    Skull Crushers - 2x6-8 Fail

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Bent Over Barbell Rows - 5x5 Last 2 fail
    One Arm Dumbell Rows - 2x6-8
    Wide Grip Pullups 2xFail
    Seated Dumbell Shrugs - 2x8-10 Fail
    Deadlifts - 5x5 HEAVY Last two sets are work sets

Day 4: Standing Barbell Press 5x5
    Arnold Press 2x6-8
    Lateral Dumbell Raises 2x6-8

Ez Curls - 2x6-8
    Hammer Curls - 2x6-8
    Reverse Curls - 2x6-8

Forearm Curls - 2x10-12

Day 5: Rest

Day 6: Squat 5x5 HEAVY
    Leg Extensions 3x6-8
    Leg Curls - 3x6-8

Standing Calf Raises 2x10-12
    Seated Calf Raises 2x10-12

I almost feel like after two weeks that I have to go light for a week or two for my body to recouperate. Actually I've been considering moving to a 3 day/week routine (added rest). Also cutting down to only deadlift or squat each week and not both. Maybe I have too much volume in there also? I have also considered cutting all exercises down to one set to total failure. Please help me..I'm not sure where i should go from here.
    Last edited by End Of One; 07-28-2003 at 11:14 AM.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Are you getting enough sleep? Maybe take a few days off and just rest. When you put on weight like you have your body needs to adjust to it. Get plenty of fluids, get enough sleep and perphaps take a few days of from the gym. If anything else maybe try one of those eca drinks before your workouts to give ya a boost.

End Of One is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Are you getting enough sleep? Maybe take a few days off and just rest. When you put on weight like you have your body needs to adjust to it. Get plenty of fluids, get enough sleep and perphaps take a few days of from the gym. If anything else maybe try one of those eca drinks before your workouts to give ya a boost.
    Yeah, most nights i get around 8 hours a sleep but I am in a band which makes it a bit difficult. 2 or 3 nights a week i only get around 6-7 hours of sleep but I do take naps when i get home from work if i don't get 8 hours in the night before. :/ Its just disappointing to have this happen after such a great start only 2.5 weeks in. I also am taking Betagen besides my whey.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Just listen to your body, if it's telling ya it's tired give it some rest. Are you sure you're not just trying to come down sick. When I am I start getting tired also. Take a few days off and rest and see how it goes from there. Best of luck to ya bro.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    tex gave some good advice, listen to what ur body's telling you, take an extra day off if need be.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I feel your pain, man. I get sore BIG-time when I work out, and my training partner really doesn't. I'm not sure exactly what it is that does this, because we both seem to put out equal amounts of effort. It usually takes me 5 full days of recovery before a muscle isn't sore anymore after working out, which is why I only work my muscle groups once per week. It looks like you're doing the same thing, though, so I'd just do exactly what the others are recommending and take a day off if you don't feel up to working out.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Not sure that this helps, but my lower back kills me for like 4-5 days after i murder it at the gym. But I have been told that your lower back is one of the slowest muscles to recover. My .02

Thread Information