Slugger is offline Junior Member

Hello I'd like to introduce myself (Need advice)

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board. I just want to say hello. I have been observing the board for a while now and I think the posters are very intelligent and the website is cool.

Anyway my story is this:

I'm 23 6'0 200 lbs. I have not been on a lifting program in 3 years. I have boxing trained/sparred on and off for a couple years now. I feel like crap. I have a gut. My muscles are soft and atrophied. I have never done roadwork (sprints/jog). I eat like 2 times a day. I average 4 hours sleep a night. I'm a mess. I USED to be in shape that's the sad part. I would like to get back into shape. My ultimate goal is I'd like to compete in amateur boxing at a mucled hard 200 lbs. within the next year WITHOUT taking steroids . What is the best and most realistic path to take? Here are two different courses of action I could take(let me know if you agree) Keep in mind I am in neither lifiting or cardio shape.

1) Get right back into everything at once. Lift 4 days a week, box 5 days a week, run sprints 3 days a week, jog for miles 5 days a week(staring at 1 mile and working up), eat 6-7 clean meals a day, drink 2 gallons of water a day, take supplements (multivitamin,glucosamine,glutamine,creatine,and protein shake), sleep 8 hours a night. etc

I think this could be good because I'm getting right back into everything at once. But I also think it could be bad because I might be overdoing it too soon. I also think my muscles would be even more atrophied with all the cardio I would be doing. I think I would lose alot of weight too fast.Is it possible that with lifting weights I could put on muscle and make myself solid even though I'm doing a ton of cardio? I'm 200 now, if after say 2 months, what would my weight be? Could I still be 200 but be solid?

or...

2) For the next five months just lift weights. NO cardio. Eat clean, take supps, sleep good and lift. After 5 months of just lifting, lift AND run sprints and roadwork for a month. NO boxing. After a month of doing that, than lift, run, and box. I think that would be good because I'd be gradually getting back into everything so I wouldn't be overdoing it. It would also be good because with just lifting and no cardio for 5 months
    my muscles would no longer be soft and atrophied and would be solid. But this could also be bad because without doing cardio for 5 months my gut will get even bigger. Is it possible to lose a gut WITHOUT doing any cardio?
    So what's better? Remember I'm going all natural. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys know much more than me. Thank you.
    Last edited by Slugger; 07-30-2003 at 09:31 PM.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I do not know much about training for boxing, but I would think that the sparring would be enough cardio to start, along with the weights 4 days per week.

Sorry my post got cut off I left out about half my post. I went back and typed the rest in.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Start off slow and work ur way back into the weight room 3 to 4 times a week. Work on ur diet, and get some good sleep in.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Sorry...

Welcome to AR

So Lord you're saying #2 would be better?

BTW Nice to meet ya

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Yes #2 would be fine. Remember you can change shit up, have a couple cardio days here and some heavy lift days there. Just start off slow and listen to ur body. Make sure ur diet is well worked out. Diet is the key! Also, take some before and after shots. you don't have to post em, but they will be good to have. Good luck man...

Hey Lord thanks for your advice. What do you think would happen if I went with my first scenario? You know starting everything at once? Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I did that?

Also my muscles are extremely soft is it possible to gain muscle by lifting weights even while doing hella cardio and boxing?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    If you hit #1 you might overtrain. Just start slow and listen to ur body. If you feel you can do more, do more. If you feel you need less, do less. The body will tell you what it needs, you just have to listen.

Hey Lord what about my question of my muscles being extremely soft is it possible to gain muscle by lifting weights even while doing hella cardio and boxing? Basically can you put on muscle to atrophied muscles by lifting AND doing boxing/running cardio training?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Being natural you would have to stay away from heavy cardio work. Just work on getting them soft muscles HUGE!

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Hey Lord what about my question of my muscles being extremely soft is it possible to gain muscle by lifting weights even while doing hella cardio and boxing? Basically can you put on muscle to atrophied muscles by lifting AND doing boxing/running cardio training?
    ehh, i think its tricky. you kinda need an over abundance of nutrients in your system to gain mass. the cardio could possibly be using those nutrients instead of letting them be used for developing muscle. but ehh, its tricky...=) i think if you're diet is chosen in such a way so where the cardio isn't sapping all your energy and you still have a lot of energy devoted to weight training, you'll be fine.

this is my understand of the whole thing, anyone care to comment?

that is an assload of cardio...i assume for endurance purposes for boxing and not necessarily fat loss?

-- clocky baby

Yeah for boxing. It's a must that you do roadwork.

Anyone else care to comment?

Thread Information