caturpilar is offline Associate Member

To burnout or not to burnout

Hey bros, I usually train on my own, but I recently started training with this buddy of mine, and he always does burnout at the end of his workouts. Is this productive on all muscle groups. I would like to believe yes because he has a great build. But for bulking up I wonder if its for me. oh ya, and are shrugs better performed up and down or rotating the shoulders back and down? Thanx, Cat.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Burnouts depend on the person .. I like to do one burnout set at the end of a workout to get as much blood pumped into the muscle group as possible.

As far as shrugs go, there is no need to rotate the shoulders all that adds is an increase in chance of injuring yourself. A straight up & down motion is the way shrugs should be done.

Ok, well my training partner is already big and cut, I just don't think burnouts are something I should be doing. All I am interested in right now is gaining mass, you know, not really isolation, but compound muscles. It just seems too much like a cutting exercise. But you know it does give a great pump, so maybe I will do them.

Za_S|ick is offline New Member
    Hey, look what I found in the actula issue of t-mag.com. It's a study from the American College of Sports Medicine conference of something like that:

EFFECTS OF TRAINING REGIMEN WITH COMBINED HIGH- AND LOW- INTENSITY RESISTANCE EXERCISES ON HORMONE SECRETION

Can performing low intensity exercise following high intensity exercise increase GH output? It's been shown before, but we don’t know what amount of weight should be used in the low intensity set to optimize GH output.

All groups trained knee extension at 90% of 1RM for five sets with three minute rest periods in between. One group had no further exercise, while three other groups performed more reps 30 seconds after the last set at either 20, 30, or 50% 1RM and continued until failure.

The groups performing the extra set with 30 and 50% 1RM had higher GH levels than the other two groups. Wow, extra GH following a strength workout! I can just see everyone doing this now! Keep in mind that although the subjects in this study were performing between 20-50 extra reps, I haven’t been able to get past ten using 50% of 1RM (though I am in a strength training phase, so my muscular endurance currently sucks ass).

While most of us don’t shy away at the thought of a serious burn, you should be aware you’re in for one if you do this. It’s probably the lactate production that affects GH, so don’t bother doing this with small body parts that'll only result in small lactate increases. Admittedly, I don’t imagine a little extra endogenous GH will make much of a difference for muscle growth, but it can’t hurt to try… unless you count the lactic acid burn, then it'll hurt like hell! (11)

Here is the url where you can read other studies too: http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/272real.jsp

Wow! Interesting article. I think I will just try doing burnouts for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me. After all it does give a great pump, and also it helps me go to complete failure, so why not. If I'm not sore the next day I just don't feel right

Thread Information