znak is offline Senior Member

kILLER Russian lat workout

Just when you think you have seen it all...

I am living in Russia on an exended assignment and am working out here with a Russian trainer. Contary to Muscle Media, Russians work out just like we do in the States, but my trainer showed me an as*kicking lat work out that has really put meat on my back.

Warm up with lat pull downs. Warm up seriously.

Then put a bench under the pull up bar, strap on 25-40 kilgrams- 50-90 lbs to your weight belt (about 25-40% of your body weight for an advanced lifter) and use lifting straps to secure yourself to the pull up bar.

Use the bench to help you pull up/jump to the top of your pull up and then slowly lower yourself down to starting position (take about 5 seconds). Jump back up and repeat 6-10 times.

We have been doing 4 sets on 10 with 40, 30, 25 and 15 kilos once a week for three months now. (I weigh 210) and the results are fricking amazing.

Pull-ups used to be a weak point, but now I can churn them out like crazy without weight on and can easily do ten clean wide grip pull ups with 50 libs hand off my belt.

He also uses the same type of approach for bench. He puts 330 lbs on the bar and I just lower it, he help it back up and I lower again. 6-8 reps at 10-20% over my max weight. Added 100 pounds in two years to my bench.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    So basically your just working on the ecentric (negative) portion of the momemt or using a assited weight technique.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Hehe i was expecting something new

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Hehe i was expecting something new
    What is new, is that the gains in size and strength are huge! Everyone out there is sucking powders, popping pills and yowza pull-ups add four inches in two months!?? I really did not expect it and really would not have believed it. It sound too "gain twenty pounds of lean muscle, while eating potato chips and watching nfL is the safety of your own livingroom"

What he is doing is emphasising the negative AND using an assisted weight technique. A killer combination. Man, do you sweat!

I have always gotten the best results from simple things. This falls into that category.

Try it.

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    What is new, is that the gains in size and strength are huge! Everyone out there is sucking powders, popping pills and yowza pull-ups add four inches in two months!?? I really did not expect it and really would not have believed it. It sound too "gain twenty pounds of lean muscle, while eating potato chips and watching nfL is the safety of your own livingroom"

What he is doing is emphasising the negative AND using an assisted weight technique. A killer combination. Man, do you sweat!

I have always gotten the best results from simple things. This falls into that category.

Try it.
    I'm gonna give it a try when the gym is empty, dont wanna make a foul out of my self if others are watching and going like "WTF"

MegaMuscle is offline New Member
    I usually do negatives at the end of my set for two to three reps. Aren't alot of heavy negatives bad for your joints? I think I read that they are and should only be used sparingly.

Thread Information