ripsid is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Legs and Quad width help?

I have trouble building the legs and need some help, my biggest concern is lack of width in the upper quad. Anything as far as technique would be great. Currently I do legs like this:
    Leg Ext- 5 sets slow burners! up to 200
    Squats - 135 - 20/225-15/315-10-12/385-8/405-6-8 or depends on how I feel
    leg press - 4 sets 270-12/360-10/410-8/450-6-8
    Hacks - 4 sets starting with 90-20/180 - 12/15/270-10/12/360-6-8

Romanian Deads - 4 -5 sets weight starts at 135 and ends with 225/265 depending on lower back
    curls - 5 sets

I really want to get the legs bigger what should I do lower reps/up the weight??? Any help

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Go heavy as all hell on squats and stick to sets of 4-6 reps. Go deep and keep the weight under control. Warm up good, and than go heavy with a good spotter. I started doing that at the beginning of this cycle and have added some good size on my legs. I'll go more into it tonight or something. Also check your pm box here in a few.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    You didn't tell us how many days you do legs? To grow legs you really need 2 leg days per week. One heavy day..Squats and leg press, dead lift or straight leg dead lift all heavy till you drop.... second leg day....lighter weights more reps, leg extensions, curls, deep hack squats..lots of reps..tear it up. Increase your caloric intake and cut back on high impact cardio....Good luck

T as usual you got the help, coming through! Rich thanks also...
    Currently I do legs once a week, but when I go on I plan on having Monday and Fridays as legs with shoulders also on Fridays.

My buddy here at work said cut the cardio out, I'm running like 1.7 to 4.0 mile in the mornings before I goto work. I'm figuring on maybe just doing some light bike work 2 times a week, just a warm up. I have troubles on squats because of my lower back, so I usually try to more up to 20 reps with 135 and 225 sometimes throwing in a 185 and doing 315/385/405. Unfortunatly for me I have to ask for spots, the worst part about lifting alone. I'm basically thinking of adjusting all my workouts to a 1 warm up set then 3-5 sets with HEAVY maxed out weight.
    Thanks bro!
    SID

1 warm-up set!?!?!?! NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! Especially if you have back problems and on squats.... hell I do at least 3-4 warm up sets. I say at least 2-3 light slow war-up sets to get the blood flowing. Why risk injury with only 1 warmup set? Also I do agree with 2 leg days, although I only do one. Mostly because I don't have the time to do 2 days a week of legs and also I have found that when I go heavy enough on squats and leave it all under the bar I'll burn myself out doing legs twice a week even if going light on of those days. If you do have back problems than I would recommend maybe not doing heavy squat. It all depends on how bad your back is and how much you're wiling to risk further injury. It's not as easy, but you can gain some good size off of heavy, full range of motion, on leg press. Just come all the way down to your chest.

[QUOTE=BIG TEXAN]1 warm-up set!?!?!?! NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! Especially if you have back problems and on squats.... hell I do at least 3-4 warm up sets. I say at least 2-3 light slow war-up sets to get the blood flowing. Why risk injury with only 1 warmup set? QUOTE]
    I agree T, no I meant more for the rest of my days, on leg day I always try to do warmups with 135-185 for 20 each and then go up to 405, but once I get there I try to do 2 sets on a good painless day. Definatelly agree! I dont' want to F* my back up!

WHen I was a SR in the Navy I had 2 500lb safes fall on me while I was driving one of the Navy Panel vans (like the ups trucks). Since then from mid back down I've had back pain.

SID

Well if you can comfortably(spelling) do heavy squats than do 'em. If not I'd stick with heavy leg press. for my warm up sets I'll do say 135 for 12, 225 for 10, 315 for 8, than jump to 405 and begin my workout. You just have to find what's good for you without causing a burnout.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    It looks like you may be over training.... 18 sets just for the quads... I think that's a lot. I also never train hams on quad day..... I would never be able to train them as hard.

Here are a few ways I train quads:
    1. Squats (close stance) 10 sets 10 reps 30 sec rest between sets. That's it... try it and you will see why.

2. Squats 5 sets to failure
    Leg Press (close) 4 sets to failure
    Extentions 3 sets to failure

3. Front Squats 4 sets to failure
    Squats 5 sets to failure

4. Hack Squats 5 sets to failure
    Leg Press 4 sets to failure

There are other combos you could come up with but this keeps it interesting and the muscle guessing.

Thread Information