Cleaner13 is offline Junior Member

improving vertical leap and theoretical questions

ok my first question is how to improve vertical leap? I want to dunk a basketball
    my stats are

20 years old
    5'10
    175lbs

Ive asked so many people about this and have gotten many different answers from lots of people
    I used to do what people suggested and then measure results if any
    so years ago a friend on a basketball team told me to start doing calf raises
    I used to do 1000 a day for about a 4 month period
    I was able to get about 2 inches more on my vertical but then no change there after

then someone told me to start lifting with calves( I never have before besides the calf raises)
    my friends uncle was Mr New Jersey (by the way he was all natural) one year and he let us use his equipment
    he had a calf machine there that is on an angle and you put the weights on the bars on either side
    I used to do 3 sets of 25 reps @750lbs( for some odd reason I have naturally strong and large calves but not so much with any other muscle)
    no dice I didnt get anywhere

so anyone know what I could do to start getting some height?

also heres my theoretical question

what would burn more calories

a person running 5mph for 2 miles

or a person running 10mph for 1 mile?

thanks alot guys and sorry for the long book

Carl

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    My best results in improving my vert came from squating with good clean form. I use a weight where I can slowly descend to 90 degrees, pause about a second, and then put an emphasis on driving up quickly. Quickly, being relative because the weight is far too heavy to move very fast. The technique of the squat is pretty darn close to a jumping motion where you dont actually leave the ground. As for calves, working them will definately help. For improving strength, I find 6-10 reps works the best. Rep range for the calves is a huge topic of debate. Hope I helped a little.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Alot of people have good success with the strength shoes for increasing their vertical jump. You can follow the exercises in the video or just run around with the shoes on your feet. The shoes are funny-looking and pricey but alot of D1 athletes I know swear by them. Good Luck...

~US~

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I have a feeling WSB would be ideal for this type of goal, it really makes sense when you think about it. You might want to consider looking into it. I also think that plyometrics could help considerably.

As far as the theoretical questions goes, the person running 10mph will burn more calories. Since he is running faster, his heart rate and metabolism will be more increased for the rest of the day and he will thus end up burning more calories.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Alot of people have good success with the strength shoes for increasing their vertical jump. You can follow the exercises in the video or just run around with the shoes on your feet. The shoes are funny-looking and pricey but alot of D1 athletes I know swear by them. Good Luck...

~US~
    I'm one of those ppl that swear by them.
    I went from grabing the rim with on hand, to a drop step 2 handed dunk in only 2 months.
    Squats, and cleans also help, along w/ strong stomach muscles.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I agree with inheritmylife. Squatting with good form will improve your vertical. Make sure you go deep. The deeper you are before you go to the hoop, the higher you will go.

The second exercise we did was jumping onto a box about 12 inches high and jumping off to develop spring in the calves. Hop on with one leg landing through your foot and ending on bent leg then jump off doing the same thing. Repeat until you can't jump 12 inches then do other leg.

The last exercise we did was "bounding". Go to a stadium and bounce up the seats diagonally across the bleacher. With each "bound" you try to stay in the air for a fraction of a second. When you are tired, do the same straight up the corridor part of the bleachers.

Stretch your achilles like a religion. The longer it is, the deeper you can go, the higher you will jump, if you have built the right muscles doing the exercises above.

Thread Information