Strut99GT is offline Member

Should you work out when you're not feeling well?

Sometimes I feel sort of crappy, but can't resist going to the gym. I know I probably shouldn't, but I end up doing it anyway. I guess the best way to put it would be like this: If I have a cold, I'll go, but if I have the flu, I won't. How about you guys? Where do you draw the line of not going to the gym?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'm the smae way to a point. If I feel it just coming on I go, but if I have an actual cold or something than I stay home on the couch.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    If I have the flu I will not go. I think training would prolong the process of getting the flu out of me. But if I have a cold and no fever I will go.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    It's strange...part of the reason why I still go when I'm feeling crappy is because I feel like getting out and exercising makes me get better much more quickly. Or maybe it's all in my head? Regardless of what it is, I'm never sick for very long. I think it's the mentality of accepting that you're sick that prolongs sickness in many cases.

redrock is offline Member
    what TheMudMan said...

bswowl is offline New Member
    u will b doing more harm than good, stay home

LittleNate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bswowl
    u will b doing more harm than good, stay home

i stay home

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I really depends on what it is and how bad I feel. Personally cardio clears my sinuses when I have a cold.

Bobbo is offline Junior Member
    If I feel a cold coming on I still go. After my workout I hit the Sauna for at least 10 minutes. I have not had a cold for over a year since using the Sauna. I usually get at least 1 cold per year. I can feel my sinuses clear as I'm in the Sauna.

Right now I'm ticked. The Sauna in my gym has been broke for a month. I use it after every workout.

Bobbo

compwhiz16 is offline Junior Member
    Perfect question for me as I haven't gone to the gym now for almost 2 weeks. Well I was kind of feeling lousy on Sat. but I still went cuz usually after I go to the gym I get better. Well in this case it made me worse. A lot worse. Went to the doctor on Monday as I alwasy had high fever and he told me it was the flu. Stayed home 2 days and felt a little better. Decided to go back to work and I think I just never gave myself the chance to recover. Went to another doctor on Saturday and he told me that I have Bronchitis. To make a long story short I should have just rested and recovered completely. Will be going to the gym back on Thursday.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    resistance training already taxes the immune systems so training while sick will only prolong the time it takes to get back to a 100% healthy status.

anabolic activity is the absolulte LAST thing the body performs. if you are sick your body is not going to produce any new muscle tissue and recovery from training will be less than optimum...

Thread Information