Rookiejay is offline Member

Splitting sets... is that a good idea???

It takes me 3 or more minutes for the muscles to recover before I can do another set.

I was thinking to do the following:

Work on 2 muscles at the same time.

For example, bi and Tri

Do curls (bi) then (a shorter break) do close grip press (tri) then do next set of curls etc.

This way I'm constantly working out, but the muscle groups get enough rest between the sets.

Any thoughts on that?

Has anyone tried that?

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    hehe rookie your talking about an old training method called "supersetting". And yes it is highly effective. If your trying to bulk I wouldnt suggest using this method more than once or twice a week.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Yea that is a great way of doing it for many reasons. I train the majority of the time doing supersets now but I always work opposites, bench/row, military press/pullups, etc, etc. I dont superset per say but I like a lot of rest between sets of the same exercise because I like to be strong on every set. I will do a set of a push exercise, rest about 1.5 minutes, then do a set of a pull exercise, rest 1.5 minutes, repeat. Not only does this allow you to get ample rest for each bodypart so that your a full blast on each set, it also keeps your heart rate up compared to just waiting 2-3minutes between sets, it also has been shown to speed the healing process when antagonist exercises are supersetted(Charles Polquin has several articles on this). Also, supersetting compound antagonist exercises has been shown to release more GH into the body. I dont feel that there is a problem with always supersetting like this as long as you change the amount of rest between sets ever so often, and change which exercise you start off with first, change weights, reps, sets, etc...

hey solid try a push/push superset method for a good shock 8) when you do wide-grip pulls downs and grab DB's and do some curls...OW

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Arnold got me into the PUSH PULL routine. Curls then tri push downs. Fuck, I havent done them in months....Maybe tonight.
    Lat pull downs then military dumbbells
    push ups then rows
    Bi and Tri routine makes the arms SO HUGE. Love it

solidj55 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    hey solid try a push/push superset method for a good shock 8) when you do wide-grip pulls downs and grab DB's and do some curls...OW
    I have tried some of these type supersets as well. I like the burn and fatigue they cause but I just cant get past the good benefits of supersetting push/pull...

Rookiejay is offline Member
    Thanks for replys

I tried it today with bi and tri - I liked it a lot - I spent only 1 hour at the gym and it was very productive - usually it takes me much longer to get a workout like that.

My pumps went up a lot, but that could be because the Dbol kicked in (I started on Monday)

Why do you think it's not a good idea to do supersets during a bulcking cycle?

hehe send some of that d-bol this way and ill test it out for bulking for you 8) but its an excellent idea to superset.

Thread Information