Thread: Swimming

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member

Question Swimming

Here is what I do now...
    Mon - Legs
    Tues - Chest, tri's & cardio
    Wed - Back, bi's & cardio
    Thur - Shoulders & cardio
    Cardio is 30 min on treadmill fastwalk, uphill... 4 mph, incline 6.

What do you guys think about adding swimming in there on Sat and Sun?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Swimming is a total body workout and I do a lot mainly because of surfing but I would say yes add it in.Its easy on the joints burns cals and gives the shoulders and back a workout.Also helps to improve flexability.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Swimming is a great form of cardio. It would be a nice addition to your routine...for all the reasons Billy pointed out. When I was younger I was a National caliber Sprint Kayaker and swimming was a big part of our off season dryland training program...along with wieghts and running.

Pete

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    the best part about swimming....it's no impact. that means no sore knees or any other joint pain

Cool... thanks guys.

What do you guys do for a swimming routine? How many laps and how fast? Any tips? I have never used swimming as a workout tool before so apologize if my questions seem dumb.

-Arthur

Once again it will vary depending on what you want to accomplish. Some people just swim laps...this would be similar to a steady walk or jog. Others use intervals of varying lengths to increase fat burning. ex. 5 x 100 meters (2 minutes reast in between), 10 x 50 meters (1 minute rest)...etc. You will ahve to play around and see what works best for you.

Pete

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Nice Pete .... It must be a set steady pace for a length of time . I would say 20-30 minutes .. Due to the whole body being used you prolly need to take a slow steady stride . Focus on stretching thru the movement and keep moving . Unless your alone in that pool it could be a lil harder than you think , but check it out ...Good luck

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I keep swimming until I am tired and need to take a breather.I use swimming for a very different purpose though.You need to find what works for you but Petes suggestion is good.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

swimming is great

what other sport can you play and just piss right there while you're playing??!!you never see a basketball player just pull up for a jumper and piss all over the court.any sport where you can piss on or in your playing field is ok w/ me.

hmm... so you must like hunting and fishing too because you can piss in the woods and in the ocean?

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Swimming note for fat loss. Studies show that because the water is cooler than your body there is little heat production causing you to hold your bodyfat. Great cardio but not great for fat loss.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

thats' true

and the water acts like an insulation system keeping bodyheat stored and lower than an activity done in free flowing air

Originally posted by dumbells101
    Swimming note for fat loss. Studies show that because the water is cooler than your body there is little heat production causing you to hold your bodyfat. Great cardio but not great for fat loss.
    Interesting...I guess that's why Ian Thorpe is such a pig. I'm just messing with you DB I realize you know your shit...seriously that is very interesting. I guess when your expending a lot of energy when swimming (intervals etc...) you will still lose fat as that is the nature of strenuous exercise, but not as rapidly as other types of cardio. It makes perfect sense. Good post.

Pete

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I see swimmers with long lean muscle great quads/lats/traps and pecs but have you ever noticed that they are still a bit smooth. You also can't always judge bodyfat from external alone because that doesn't take into consideration internal bodyfat around our organs etc.

Thread Information