web03 is offline Associate Member

personal trainer workout...any good???

I've been working out serious for 6 years and finally decided to try to get some outside help with a diet. Well i ended up talking to this guy about my workout schedule also and he said it was all messed up. I usually workout 5 days a week and he said that's far too much. Keep in mind im also on a cycle right now. This is what he said i should be doing.

day 1
    chest -4exercises
    shoulders-3 exercises
    tricep-2exercises

day 2
    squats 4 sets
    deadlift 4 sets
    extensions 2 sets heavy
    leg curls 2 sets heavy
    lowerback
    traps
    shrugs 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

day 3
    seated row 4 sets
    pull downs front 2 sets
    pull downs back 2 sets
    pull over 2 sets
    barbell curls 3 sets
    hammer curls 2 sets
    writst curls 2 sets

what do you think and how should i cycle it...?? thanks for the help web

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I wouldn't really be a fan of that workout. To tell you the truth, everyone is different. One thing works for someone, while another thing works better for soemeone else.

I've split up my arms into one entire day. Also, I'm pretty much supersetting everything nowadays. I find it gives me great pumps and the gains have been steady.

SirBen187 is offline Junior Member
    keymaster, can you run down your program over the coure of a week? I'm about done with my 12 week program and am looking for someting else to get into. THanks for any help

i realize everyone is different but the thing this guy said was that i am overtraining. What do you think a good split is during a week? I can figure out the exercises but I guess the recupperation period is too short for me?? Any help would be great.

WEb

Yung Wun is offline Member
    whats ur current routine?the one the trainer said was 2much. were u progressing in weight, with ur originally routine?
    bodybuilding fitness forums hype muscle bodybuilders
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 08-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This is a good workout schedule IMO. There are a few things to consider:
    1) This day is different than the rest of the days
    day 1
    chest -4exercises
    shoulders-3 exercises
    tricep-2exercises

Now it doesn't specify how many sets per exercise like the other two days.

2) A three day rotation is fine. You just need to find the frequency which you will not overtrain and still receive desireable results.
    Start with '1 on, 1 off' if you need more move up to '2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off' and if you need more bump it up to '2 on, 1 off'

3)
    I've split up my arms into one entire day.
    Don't do this unless you are happy with your size and/or stregth and feel that your arms are your worst bodypart. Too many people with 17inch arms and 20 inch legs do this.

4) check out these 2 sites for good workout schedules:
    www.fitrex.com
    www.testosterone.net

dangit is offline Member
    I workout 5-7 days a week and I'm growing nicelly.

I split it up so don't train the same parts more than twice a week and usually only once a week.

Mon: Arms/calves
    Tues: legs
    Wed: chest
    Thurs: forarms/calves and cardio
    Fri: shoulders/calves
    Sat: back
    Sun: calves and cardio

Doing something like this, I end up giving most of my joints a day or two of rest. I find that I workout my biceps when I do back, but they're spaced apart nicelly... Same for my chest... it's spaced apart nicelly from my arm workout. There is plenty of time in there for recovery and I can blast the hell out of them.

Chica....sounds good. Well i tried workout one today and it was pretty intense. I think i'll try sticking with this for a while and see what happens. I started a good diet and hopefully if all works well i'll be able to compete next year sometime. I'll keep everyone posted if anyone is interested. Thanks. Web

madmanz is offline Junior Member
    both plans only have your tris doing 2 sets assuming 4 sets thats only 8, is that enough?
    i am doing around 14, am i doing to much?

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by web03

day 2
    squats 4 sets
    deadlift 4 sets
    extensions 2 sets heavy
    leg curls 2 sets heavy
    lowerback
    traps
    shrugs 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

what do you think and how should i cycle it...?? thanks for the help web
    I can tell you after almost 9 years of hardcore training and as a state record holder that it is absolutely impossible to do this week after week with any significant amount of weight on the bar. Anyone who thinks otherwise can join me and run through a simple deadlift or squat training night. If your intensity is where it should be, all you need is one working set of squats and maybe one working set of leg presses for quads. If you think you're gonna be able to load up the deadlift bar with 600-700+ and slam out sets of 4's or 5's after those two quad sets, then you're crazy!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I can tell you after almost 9 years of hardcore training and as a state record holder that it is absolutely impossible to do this week after week with any significant amount of weight on the bar.
    I agree that day2 workload is way too high. If you think about it you are working your entire lower body and a good portion of your upper body in one day.

sublang is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I agree that day2 workload is way too high. If you think about it you are working your entire lower body and a good portion of your upper body in one day.

I also agree. The legs and back are two very large muscle groups. Too much for one day, IMHO.

Thread Information