symatech is offline Retired Moderator

Decline press...feelin it more in my shoulder

Anybody know why when I do decline barbell presses (just started) I feel it more in the front of my shoulder than in my chest. Ive been doin decline flys for awhile now and wanted to switch to something new for awhile but if it keeps at my shoulder the way it has been i just might have to go back to flys

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    I dunno, but i have the same problem only with close grip bench presses. Everybody says you are supposed to feel in triceps i always feel it mostly in anterior deltoids.

compwhiz16 is offline Junior Member
    Try switching to db, go light for the first few sets and see if you feel it working your chest. If yes, then increase the weights. I personally have never had that problem.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    Try dumbells...they will help you isolate the muscule group a little easier that barbell. Also you may have your bench to high which cause your shoulders to engage. Lower the bench to the lowest angle it can go before being flat. Keep your shoulders back....not rounded forward..keep your back arched..shoulder blades on the bench..this should take the focus off your shoulders and really work your pecs.

R

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Rich is right. Anytime you do a press try and pinch your shoulder blades together, stick out your chest and if that's not helping, them keep your elbows in instead of out.

Farmer is offline Member
    This was brought up in a thread awhile back..I believe if it was on this board...but don't bring the bar down to your lower sternum because that takes a lot of stress off the chest and drastically reduces the ROM. Try and bring it down towards the top of your chest/neck..

Peace

Farmer

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I do what Rich8888 says but if you're going to use the bar bring it just above your nipples. Also you might want to lower the weight and see if that helps..... I see a lot of guys doing declines wrong because they just use too much weight.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    alright thank you for the replies guys. I think I'll switch to dumbbells for a while. peace

Thread Information