AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

4-6 Reps... Overrated or not?

Whats up guys, I started a cycle of Mag-10 about 2 weeks ago and I've been eating a shitload. I changed my workout around so it's 6 sets of 4-6 reps each exercise, In theory the low reps builds more strength which builds size... right? I think it's working for my bench, but is there anything bad about doing this low of reps?

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    i think low reps is the way to go, the only differences i think are that higher reps allow you to get more ripped, and low rep heavy weight is really hard on the joints after a while.

Feli Fly is offline Junior Member
    I think diet is what gets you "more ripped".... but higher reps and different angles on exercises can really bring about striations and definitions (which won't be visible until bf% is very low, though...

As to rep #, it truly depends on the exercise, bro... 4-6 is pretty low... I'm aiming to bulk, and I think my sets are maybe between 4-12... never doing more than 6 reps (and using a weight that you couldn't do much more with) would be awfully taxing and you (I would anyways) would need a ton of rest inbetween sets.

Also, sin brings up a very good point... when you are going with very low reps (I'd say less than 5 or so) or taking a set to failure, that is often when your form tends to go and you put yourself at risk for injury.. I guess I'd say just be careful and ALWAYS use a spot for low sets so you have no worries and can keep good form.

Archangel230 is offline Junior Member
    Low to moderate rep training should definetely have their place in mass building phases. I even use it for cutting to maintain as much muscle as possible. I feel it really adds density to your body, more so than higher rep training. The potential for injury though is much greater. Including some moderate high rep training around your heavy duty training is a great way to maximize your gains from working out.

Nino99GT is offline New Member
    So is that why my shoulders have been aching so bad after my chest day? The whole bad on the joints thing that is.

BLaXuede is offline Banned
    4-6 range is the perfect range to lift in.....if you are getting too many sets in the 6 range you know you can move up in weight....performing sets 4-6 rep range forces you to learn how to control the motion on any movement by yourself...

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nino99GT
    So is that why my shoulders have been aching so bad after my chest day? The whole bad on the joints thing that is.
    word to that, i was just about to post a thread about this. for bench press, i've been doing 2 warmup sets, 1 heavy set (6-8 reps), and 1 extremely heavy (3 rep) set. on both heavy sets, my shoulders hurt like hell. shit, they even hurt now (i did chest earlier today).

the only way i can avoid the shoulder joint pain is doing like 5 warmup sets...=P

-- cb

Valmont is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Whats up guys, I started a cycle of Mag-10 about 2 weeks ago and I've been eating a shitload. I changed my workout around so it's 6 sets of 4-6 reps each exercise, In theory the low reps builds more strength which builds size... right? I think it's working for my bench, but is there anything bad about doing this low of reps?

First off drop the mag-10 crap and just pick up more calories. Unless, you just want to spend money on water weight.

Secondly, 4-6 is great for strength and yes there "may be" some correlation between strength and muscle size. But once again quit listening to AST pushers and figure what works for you.

Remember each individual has there own genetic makeup of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers so therefor you must follow a periodization scheme. Switching off between low and high reps weekly or monthly. This ensures that you will not overtrain.

Lastly, muscles can only get bigger or smaller not more "striated". This depends entirely on ones diet. Because we all know that everyone already has striations. -right?

Peace

99si is offline Junior Member
    ditto to valmont

gotta love the high reps give you definition bullshit.
    who came up with that shit.

MR.BICEPS is offline Junior Member
    MAG I0 does not work very well from my experience. Creatine was far better than MAG 10.

I'll take test-eq anyday!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    4 to 6 works for me.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Well said Valmont.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99si
    ditto to valmont

gotta love the high reps give you definition bullshit.
    who came up with that shit.
    Who came up with that bullshit?? lol. Um if you try doing exercises using 12 reps as opposed to 4 reps, TRUST ME you will see the differnce between bulk work out and definition work out.

There is also the PYRAMID work out. Warm ups with 2 set of 10 reps. Add 10 lbs and drop to 8 reps 2x. Add 10lbs drop to 6 reps 2x. Add 10lbs drop to 4 reps 2x Then add 10lbs (this being your max weight) and do 2 reps 2x
    Now, take off 10lbs and do 4 reps 1x. You will notice the weight seems lighter this time around. Your muscles are now used to the heavy weight and as you continue to drop the weight it allows you to come back up to the original weight. I can explain it better in technical terms but I hate reading that crap. Just try it and it if you dont like it then I guess Im gonna cry....

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Speaking in terms of reps, I think that the total number for the exersize is the most important factor in general. Doing five sets of five repetitions, carring the fifth set to failure, is comparable to doing three sets of eight reps and carrying the third to failure. Not exactly the same, but comparable. Like was stated earlier, different muscle fiber ratios come into play, but because the total # of reps were close (25,24), and intensity was similar (failure on last set), the two examples are alike. However, that small contrast between examples can make a world of difference when the trainee has adapted to one or the other. Volume and intensity are the two key variables. Lower volume with intensity constant, will improve 1rm max strength; higher volume with intensity constant will put a greater emphasis on hypertrophy.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    A. Valmont is correct in regards to body type and fibers. I have clients who don't have a slow twitch fiber in their body. They do great with the lower reps but don't respond well with reps above 8-10.
    B. You simply HAVE to use functional, high joint stress exercises like squats, deadlifts etc for strength and size. Those types of exercises increase GH production, and you definately want that.
    C. Having said that, you also have to be careful not to overtrain or overstress the joints. I alternate high joint stress and low joint stress exercises.
    D. Always train the muscles from a variety of reps and sets. Sure train heavy and increase the volume, but don't overlook the endurance fibers either.
    E. EAT, EAT, EAT...SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP

flexgolf is offline Member
    ive gained more mass performing workouts with repetitions ranging from 4-8 reps, in comparison to sets of 10-12 reps.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    If I want size I go 4-8 reps moderate weight and then heavy.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    According to Chris Aceto, Jay Cutler's nutritionist/trainer, 6-12 reps at heavy weight is the way to go. Read his book championship bodybuilding. Its enlightening.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I personally think it's over-rated. But to each his/her own. Muscle strength can increase without the actual size of the muscle increasing. So for power, you can go with the low rep range, but for size and shape, IMO stick with the rep range of what CALIDUDE suggested...6-12.

Thread Information