DocHoliday is offline Senior Member

speed training and leg muscle development

I want to increase my speed, while massing up my legs. Are the two going to conflict?

I'll be running a RT Test Enanthate cycle at 400mg ew for 10 weeks.

I'll be using strength shoes to increase my speed.

Doc

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    As long as you up the calories, you should be fine.

I think the goals do conflict a bit as far as training goes. To mass up your legs you would probably use a classical BBer hypertrophy split that will increase leg size but will do little for increasing your speed.

On the other hand, you could use a weight training split to reinforce your speed training such as WSB, but of course there won't be as much hypertrophy in your legs.

Anyways it will depend on your goals, if you're playing a very competitive sport then WSB would probably be your choice, otherwise if you're just doin it for recreation, fun, etc then the hypertrophy routine would be fine. It all depends on how fast you want to be.

WHOA....

Terminology has me lost! Can you go into what a Hypertrophy Split is, and a weight training split, and WSB are?

I am doing it for recreation, but I want the speed of a cheeta! LOL.

Doc

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I just posted this in another thread, but it would do you good. I, like you, also worry and train about my speed. I do a lot of wind sprints, uphill sprints and plyometrics along with THIS leg workout and my speed and explosiveness has done nothing but IMPROVE after adding in this exercise every 2 weeks....

I'm a firm believe that simpler is better. Here's another one, I do this about once every two weeks and trust me this somma bitch is HARD. It takes about a full hour and half to do however, but it totally totally totally hammers your body into some serious growth and hidden power. Not to mention about a week of limping like a penguin.

BARBELL FULL SQUATS (ass to the floor)
    20 sets of 20 reps

You take a weight you can handle for 20 reps, I usually only start off with 185lbs, and then after my first set, I drop it down to 155lbs and then at about set number 5 I take it down to 135lbs and by the end, I'm squatting JUST the bar (big 45lbs, haha) and I'm struggling.

I guarantee if you don't pass out (which I did on two seperate occasions at about set number 12), you'll have the best nights sleep of your life.

Don't worry doc, these terms really aren't complex but they just make things simpler once you know what they mean.

Hypertrophy- In general it just means you're training for size. Usually most people will train each body part once per week with this type of goal.

I apologize for using weight training, what i really meant to say was strength training. I think one of the best strength training splits out there is WSB(West Side Barbell) which is a split that focuses on the 3 big lifts(Deadlift or DL, Squat, Bench).

For more info on WSB, here is a general outline
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/133per.html

There are many, many more great articles at
    http://www.elitefts.com

The point I was trying to make above is that if you improve your strength, you will improve your speed.

As far as Ronny's idea, if you really want big legs, its a great idea. If you want to be fast, its probably one of the worst training methods for that specific goal.

I have to go to class soon, so hopefully i won't leave anything out like last time, but you should understand it more after reading that WSB article.

Who do you think will generate more explosiveness and power in a short sprint, a person who can do 200lbs for 30 reps or a person who can do 400lbs for one rep?

The answer is the 400lb squatter. Sprinting is a very short event and requires that quick initial explosiveness and then the event is over. Be able to squat 200lbs 30x might be good for endurance, but it will not help your speed at all or have little effect.

Now i'm leaving alot of things out, but once you read more of the WSB articles, it will become much clearer.

Plyometrics, cardio, sprints, etc. will all help improve speed, but strength is the foundation.

One thing you should consider is that Mark Henry is one of the strongest men in the world, and he will keep up with any olympic sprinter in a 30 yd dash, and he can still dunk a Bball at 6'2" and ~320lbs.
    Last edited by saboudian; 09-02-2003 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks you saboudian. I'll read up.

Thanks Ronny.

I agree Saboudian, but like Ronny said, if you add it every 2nd week, you can do your explosive routines in between, and I don't think you're speed would suffer. I'll play around with ideas.

More ideas are welcom.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday
    Thanks you saboudian. I'll read up.

Thanks Ronny.

I agree Saboudian, but like Ronny said, if you add it every 2nd week, you can do your explosive routines in between, and I don't think you're speed would suffer. I'll play around with ideas.

More ideas are welcom.

Doc
    I hope you're my opponent and not my teammate one day.

Lol!

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    You're right Saudiban about my routine for legs not really being great for explosive bursts. However, I actually explode up from my squat position rather than a controlled slow method and I train usually for muscle endurance when it comes to weights and my explosiveness for running comes from my wind sprints and uphill sprints. But doing the 400 squats has done miracles for my explosive power and endurance during long runs and uphill cimbs. But you were right when you said it wasn't a good idea if you were looking for explosiveness.

kilroy is offline Junior Member
    if your legs are getting stronger in the gym it won't compensate your speed. It will make you faster. Lots of hamstring work and low back. Big fast people beat little fast people.

Slangin Roids is offline Junior Member
    My advice is do sprint workouts 4-5 times a week, thats the only way you'll get faster. Strength shoe gains i think are a bit overrated because the people that use it usually don't run that much anyway. When they actually start running they get faster with or without the strength shoes.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I used to play basketball and this was what i did to get more explosiveness, quickness (and working to increase my vertical): I lifted legs once a week in the gym. I went heavy and hard, slow and controlled when lowering the weight, explosive (but not out of control) on the positive portion. Beyond that I did a combo of sprints/plyometrics every other day (for around 1/2 hour). My legs blew up like crazy...

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Being a competitive powerlifter and a "westside" guy.

I'd agree with Saboudian, westside is the way to go.

A few thing's to keep in mind. It's not only good to train for speed. You must train for sport specific speed. What kind of speed sprinting, jumping etc...?

Try using bands, chains, weight releasers during training.

Also remember when training for speed you want to train your neuro-muscular system.

Try Glute-ham raises, reverse hypers, Good mornings, power cleans,and snatches.

you'll find alot more at www.elitefts.com read in the articles and askdave sections.

Just my.02

xxxl83

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Having been a competitive sprinter, i learned that the way to get faster was to literally kick your own ass. Being in two sports i would normally do heavy sets of squats at lower reps, and then be forced to run 100 meters over and over again, or run sled intervals till i basically had to vomit. Yes, it was masochism at its finest. But my god, i built legs of granite and i was a goddamn jackrabbit. Try and alternating heavy squatting with high repitition interval sprints. You can achieve both hypertrophy and agility. Just my opinion.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    And by the way, that test enanthate will help tremendously. Try and stay off winny though, it will kill your joints.

Thread Information