katton is offline New Member

How do i build bigger lats?

I do rows pull ups ect and i feel no strain or soreness in my lats. I feel like i'm only using my biceps on the pull ups and using my shoulders and forearm on the rows. Are there any exercises that only use the lats and it's impossible to cheat? My lats seem not to want to do the exercise and let the secondary muscles do it.

katton

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    By Reading This Im Guessing Something Might Be Wrong With Your Form, When Doing Back You Do Incorporate Your Bi's And Forearms, Remember On Db Rows You Need Pull Your Elbows Back, For Barbell Row Try It With A Tbar So That Your Hands Are Closer Together .. Good Luck

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    You just have to learn to pull with your back. I can't think of any Lat exercise that the Bi's wouldn't be used as a secondary muscle group to some extent.

Contender is offline Junior Member
    Saboudian...Excellent Advice Bro...learn to pull with the back, that is the key to unlocking a GREAT back as compared to just an average one.........

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Try "Wide Grip Chin Pull Ups". Just hang from the bar and pull yourself up. If you can only get 1 rep, that's okay. You have to start somewhere. Use a spotter and crank out as many as you can for about 6 sets. Then continue on with your normal back workout and you should be feeling the effects straight in your lats brah. But like everyone else has posted, learn to pull with your back

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    you need to build the "mind to muscle" connection bro. this is a common problem.

bent over bb rows
    chins with super slow negatives
    wide grip pulldowns
    db pullovers
    db rows
    t-bar
    deadlift

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll second what everyone else has said here and try to reinforce the "learn" to use the lats instead of every other muscle that wants to take over. I used to barbell row, with pretty strict form, 225-275 for good reps. When I finally took a break from them and rewired how I utilize my lats in my back workouts (low cable rows were the exercise that I 'learned' to do this on), i went back to barbell rows topping at 185, but with a better back! It's all about that mind-muscle connection, particularly with lats since they are one of the hardest muscle groups with which to learn that.

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    bump on that mind muscle connection green, its very true

solidj55 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    (low cable rows were the exercise that I 'learned' to do this on)
    Same here dude, thats why its my favorite rowing exercise, I have the best form on it and get the best results from it, pullups and low cable rows are my staple to back work.

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    I believe wide grip chins will do more for your back then any other exercise. Do you remember that Presidential Physical Fitness Test from Grade School. I could never do a single pull-up. When I first started working out I wanted to be able to do pull-ups. Last night in my back workout I got 6 reps with 80 pounds hanging on a dip belt. I'm not huge by any means, but my lats overshadow the rest of my physique and I owe it to wide-grip chins.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Do wide grip chin-ups , if you're doing close then yes, you're going to feel it mainly in your biceps. As for the bent over rows, the biceps/forearms will be used to a certain extent, but try to use your back for the main part of it.

etb
    etb is offline New Member
    local injections. joking

Thread Information