Football_Bill is offline Associate Member

In Season Workout

I have been reading and following workouts from "Complete Conditioning for Football", but am now in season. I have taken over a month break from lifting due to personal problems. I have been running three miles twice a week, with practice another two days a week. I need to get back in the saddle, and want to follow their advanced in season workout with some modifications due to working out at home. Here is their workout.

Mon and Thursday
    Bench 2 sets of 5
    Squat 2 sets of 5

Tues and Friday
    Hang Clean 2 sets of 5
    Power Press 2 sets of 5
    Trunk Twists 2 sets of 5

Practice Wed, games Saturday or Sunday

Here is my issue, power presses cannot be done in my basement. Would regular military press and deadlifts be comparable, if not better?

Also, i am yet to do a cycle, but was thinking this might be a good time. I will post the cycle somewhere else, (Test E/Deca /DBol ) but is this enough lifting while on cycle. I was thinking I could through in some added lifts for arms and such if I am on cycle, since the recovery would be better. Any help is great. Thank you.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Here is a link to the Q&A for the sports specific questions at elitefts.com. This is a similar question.

8/24/2003 - Kelly Clinevell
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom, Jim, H, or X,
    My 13 yo nephew had been using a 4 day week conjugate method prior to football
    season and dropped lifting during the 2 a day preseason. He wanted to start
    back up during the season. I was going to suggest a rotating 3 day week with
    ME days going to 3 rep sets with 1 in the tank, dropping a couple of DE sets
    and keeping assistance at 3 exercises of 3-4 sets each. How does this sound
    and do any of you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want a three day work out here it is:
    Day 1 - the day right after the game
    Exercise 1 - Lactic Acid/Conditioning
    Power Pulls/Hang Cleans/Cleans from the Deck
    rotate every two weeks
    1 rep every thirty seconds with a 30 second rest
    Exercise 2 - MAX EFFORT ROTATION LOWER BODY
    pick any lower body exercise usually a squat variation work to 90% week 1 for a triple work to new max week 2 and the rotate exercise
    Exercise 3 - Upper Body Volume
    Press and Pull combo set
    3x10 each
    Exercise 4 - Posterior Chain
    3x10-15

Day 2 two days later
    Exercise 1 - Speed Squats
    Exercise 2 - MAX EFFORT ROTATION UPPER BODY
    pick any lower body exercise usually a bench variation work to 90% week 1 for a triple work to new max week 2 and the rotate exercise

Exercise 3 - DB Clean or DB Snatch Single Arm 3x6 each
    3x10-15

Day 3 - two days before the Game
    Exercise 1 - Speed Bench plus extensions
    Exercise 2 - Box Jump or Long Jumps 5x3-5
    Exercise 3 - Lunge/Step Up of SIngle Legf Squat variation for 3x8-10 each leg

Every day
    Pre
    Quick Feet Drills
    Cuff Work
    Power ZOne - Torso

Cuff WOrk
    Ankle and Knee stabilization work

Static/Dynamic FLex

Hope this helps - We just broke camp and began a very similar work out today with our team

Good Luck

solidj55 is offline Member
    Keep it simple during your football season. You need to be lifting for sure in order to maintain as much as you can but do not over do it. Your body will be banged up and overtrained as it is. Keep it simple. Hit a couple of presses a couple of pulls some squats, abs, and lower back and youll be set. I would keep the weights in the 65-85% range, no more no less during the season. I would probably stay closer to the 70-80 range, go down to 65 if you feel bad and hit the 85 if you feel good. And to answer your question, No the regular military press isnt the same, power press(AKA Push Press or Jerk Press) is an explosive full body movement, military press is just a power compound movement.

solidj55 is offline Member
    This is my suggestion.

Monday
    Bench Press-2 sets
    BB Rows-2 sets

Tuesday
    Squats-2 sets
    Lower Back Extensions-2 sets
    Knee Raises-2-3 sets

Thursday
    Dips-2 sets
    Pullups-2 sets

Friday
    Hang Cleans
    Trunk Twists
    Decline Situps

kilroy is offline Junior Member
    i play football too bro. My suggestion is to attack the gym the same way you do that punk lined up accross from you. In season you are naturally going to loose some strength and that is why you must hit it hard. One thing i wouldn't do is run long distances. It won't help you for football. Football requires quick recovery. Sprints with short rest periods like 30 to 45 seconds

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. Kilroy, you are right. The 3 miles is really not for football, but for myself. I went from 330 to a now 250, and still want to lose more, and running is one of the best ways. I am about to hit the gym hard again, and will cut back to short fast sprints, either at the track or on the treadmill.

Now what about starting the cycle during the season? There is no drug testing in this leaugue, it can only help right?

Stats: 6'4" 250, 25 yrs, still high on the body fat, I have a good gut.

Cycle:
    Test E- 500 mg 8 weeks
    Deca D- 400 mg 8 weeks
    DBol - 40 mg ed for first 4 weeks
    Nolva - 20 mg ed 8 weeks

Clomid starts 21 days after last shot, run for 300mg
    day 1/ 100mg 10 days/ 50mg 10 days.

kilroy is offline Junior Member
    If you can handle the shots of enanthate then it can help your strength. But you have to hit the gym extra hard because you beat yourself up on the field and it is just hard to stay strong in season. THere will be some sore days at practices from the enanthate. Thats why in season after your game shoot up that day to give yourself more time between shots before your next game

Thread Information