Thread: edt training

dudsy is offline Junior Member

edt training

hey guys just wondering how many people have tried escalated density training, and if so, what sort of results have you experienced. (on the juice or natural). im thinking about buying the new book, guide to massive arms or something like that and just wanted some opinions of people who have tried it.

cheers

bump

come on guys someone must have tried this type of training

bumpy bump bump bump

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    How about explaining it... I don't think anyone has heard of it. Do you have a link? Who came up with this theory?

no prob warrior, i thought you might have an idea because i found the article on testosterone .net(the same one that you have a link to on your replies). Anyway, charles staley came up with the idea. there is a good article on it at T, i think it was a week or two ago, have a read it sounds interesting, if you cant find it i will send it to you.

Ahhh... these:

Escalating Density Training Phase 1 and Phase 2 by Charles Staley.

I'll get back to ya later on these. Let me read this shiznet tonight and see what it says. Looks like a good find from a first impression.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    this is interesting
    anyone else care to share any info on this matter

bump

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I just got the latest T-Mag and read that article. It is not a routine for powerlifting or strenght training, but is geared directly towards muscular hypertrophy. It looks to be an effective program, but I'd like to hear Warriors comments on it.

where are you warrior
    the suspense iz killing me

LMFAO, I am going to hit the iron right now and I promiss to read this when I get back tonight. I need a new split as well.

im starting on monday so i keep u informed

Looks a lot like he took a German Volume Training workout and added in some structure. He also has some principles from Power Factor Training. With GVT you use a similar number of reps but it isn't necessarily a time frame as a whole but basically 10 reps 10 sets with limited RI's - which normally takes 20-30 minutes to do anyway. And GVT is a solid program for size and strength.

IMO - this routine would be really good for a cutting phase w/reduced calories to keep your strength and get hard. On the otherhand, it would deffinitly add size with suffecient calorie intake - but if your current split is not as intense as this be sure you compensate, this will require more calories to bulk and sustain the workout. Ectomorphs beware

dudsy, since you are going to try it - take your beginning bodyfat, body weight and a few measurements... and keep us updated brah!

I'll probably join you when I start cutting...

As the old saying goes "You can work hard, or you can work long, but you can't work hard for long." <-- SPOT ON

shit sorry about that post i forgot to keep u guys updated. anyways i tried edt for a couple of workouts but stopped due to:

2. for myself only the program requires a fair amount of direct tricep work, due to a tendon injury in my elbow i couldnt perform direct tricep exercises(benching and pressing is ok). originally i thought this injury had healed.

i still believe this program would work for someone who has a home gym or trains at odd hours but for most of us who train in a commercial gym its just no a viable training method.........to bad

I hear ya - I have to hog a few pieces for holistic days.

Things you can do to keep it saved:

- Bring more than one towel... not too many people will move a sweaty towel.

- Lay a training book or something else near it that shows it may be occupied.

- When people approach something your are using - scream and bite them on the leg - or just let them know you are supersetting but they can work in knowing you will be alternating quite quickly. Usually they just say, "Oh - no, go ahead..."

- Workout at odd hours...

There are other ways too...

alright guys i'm going to give this a try next week
    i'll inform you guys later on my progress

warrior i think the bitting on the leg is best for marking territory

Originally posted by Yung Wun
    warrior i think the bitting on the leg is best for marking territory
    Yeah - either bite or piss on the seat! lol

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Warrior and dudsy, tell me what you think. I combined the EDT program with Tudor Bumpa's EMG results and came up with this:

Day 1-Chest/Bi's

First-20 min.
    A-1: Incline dumbells
    A-2: Preacher Curls

Second-20 min.
    A-1: Decline dumbells
    A-2: Incline curls

Day 2- Legs/Shoulders

First-15 min.
    A-1: Leg Extensions
    A-2: Seated dum presses

Second-15min.
    A-1: Leg curls
    A-2: Standing Bent Raises

Third-15 min.
    A-1: Hack squats
    A-2: Standing Calves

Day 3- Back/Tri's

First-20 min.
    A-1: Bent rows
    A-2: Decline Extensions

Second- 20 min.
    A-1: Cable Rows
    A-2: Pressdowns

It's gonna be a killer but I can't wait to try this one out Any more suggestions feel free to add.........Usualsuspect
    Last edited by usualsuspect; 01-13-2003 at 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by usualsuspect
    Warrior and dudsy, tell me what you think. I combined the EDT program with Tudor Bumpa's EMG results
    Outstanding. I would substitute Leg Extensions with Leg Presses for a higher load on the quads. Keep toes close and higher on the pad to isolate quads and the lower vastus.

Unless you are using leg extensions simply as a preexhaust exercise BTW - I am a difficult person to pull off of free weight and anything that allows a large weight load on the muscle group I rarely find application for machines...

BTW - there was an updated article on this at T-mag: Lose The Fat, Keep The Strength: Escalating Density Training For Body Comp Breakthroughs by Charles Staley

thanks for the link

Warrior and dudsy, tell me what you think. I combined the EDT program with Tudor Bumpa's EMG results and came up with this:

Day 1-Chest/Bi's

First-20 min.
    A-1: Incline dumbells
    A-2: Preacher Curls

Second-20 min.
    A-1: Decline dumbells
    A-2: Incline curls

Day 2- Legs/Shoulders

First-15 min.
    A-1: Leg Extensions
    A-2: Seated dum presses

Second-15min.
    A-1: Leg curls
    A-2: Standing Bent Raises

Third-15 min.
    A-1: Hack squats
    A-2: Standing Calves

Day 3- Back/Tri's

First-20 min.
    A-1: Bent rows
    A-2: Decline Extensions

Second- 20 min.
    A-1: Cable Rows
    A-2: Pressdowns

It's gonna be a killer but I can't wait to try this one out Any more suggestions feel free to add.........Usualsuspect
    Holy Shit! I gave this program a try this week and damn am I sore.
    No lie, I couldn't even go out friday night cuz I was so drained from lifting. I dare you to try it out...it's no joke. This program will give your body a true shock. Just make sure to up the calories like Warrior said.
    Good Luck...Usualsuspect

Farm boy is offline Junior Member

Question update on results

Holy Shit! I gave this program a try this week and damn am I sore.
    No lie, I couldn't even go out friday night cuz I was so drained from lifting. I dare you to try it out...it's no joke. This program will give your body a true shock. Just make sure to up the calories like Warrior said.
    Good Luck...Usualsuspect
    i was wanting to know if you could update us on this type of training. did it work well for you. i have been reading all that i can on the forum. i am considering a fat loss routine for about twelve weeks. i can not decide between GVT or EDT. i am curious about your results.

Re: update on results

Originally posted by Farm boy

i was wanting to know if you could update us on this type of training. did it work well for you. i have been reading all that i can on the forum. i am considering a fat loss routine for about twelve weeks. i can not decide between GVT or EDT. i am curious about your results.
    It worked well for the short period of time I used it. I would have stayed with it for longer if it wasn't for school. Its undoubtfully a very effective program for cutting up, but its also very taxing on the body. I would say give it a shoot for a month or two and see how you like it. Just make sure you eat enough and sleep enough or else you'll be a zombie walking around.
    What I liked most about edt training was the pumps. When you get to the last 5 minutes or so of the set, my muscles feel like they were going to burst. Remember this training style is not for the weak at heart. So if your going to try it make sure your diet and such is in place first. Good luck and let us know how u do...US

I just tried this type of training today for arms...

[A-1] Standing Barbell Curls
    [A-2] Standing Rope Extensions

[B-1] Lying Cambered Bar Extensions
    [B-2] Standing Cambered Bar Reverse Grip Curls

20 minutes for both rotations with 4-5 minutes rest inbetween. 20 mintues is a long time when you under this type of tension - but if anyone tries is just push through the pain... when you stop you'll feel like taking a chomp out of the Richard Simmons lookin' sumbitch staring at you! I had a serious pump from this - I had a hard time using the towel to wipe the gobs of sweat from my forehead. I have to say this was probably one of the best pumps I have had in my arms in awhile - especially in my biceps.

I am going to do a normal POF type day next time for arms and do this EDT-type training every other workout... at least for arms.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Warrior, IDK how the heck you manage those 2 supersets. After one of those supersets, I think i'd be ready to call it a day.

I was readin through the articles, and it does seem like an interesting system, and I'll definitely have to give it a shot sometime. I did have to read each article a few times, until i started gettin the hang of the system.

The updated article link that Warrior gave was pretty interesting. The core exercise at the beginning definitely intrigues me, reminds me a tad bit of my version of WSB ME days.

The only thing that bothers me about this system is that the Delts don't receive any direct work. A couple of the supersets seem a lil funky, but you can change those according to your taste.

On another note, I have never seen those decline step-ups for the quads. At first when i saw em, i just kinda blew it off, but now I've been really thinking about those. If anyone has tried em, lemme hear whatchya think about em, i'll give em a trial run next time in the gym if i remember.

BTW, thanx for the good reading dudsy, these are my favorite ones to read.

saboudian - there seems to be a rebound kind of like GVT after abuot 10 minutes (probably associated to an adrenelin release like GVT too). But I guess the real trick is to not watch the clock, but just keep grabbing the weights... focus and don't lose sight. But after the first 20-minute interval I was already seriously pumped up - I could hardly bend my arm to wipe my face. But I gave it about 4-5 minutes rest and then went to the next interval - which put more focus on triceps.

I don't know about the whole program but I like the principle of it - and I'll be using it every other bicep/tricep workout for awhile (I WILL get 20 inch guns! ). It gives me a knew option for my high intesity days for something other than Holistic routines. EDT basically uses the Power Factor Index where you figure not only load + reps - but load + reps + time.

Thread Information