GRIPS is offline Associate Member

High Reps Low Weight

I'm wondering what can i expect as far as muscle development from working out with high reps and low weights?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIPS
    I'm wondering what can i expect as far as muscle development from working out with high reps and low weights?
    Atrophy, hypotrophy, your muscles will get smaller. Your muscles start to feed on themselves and then you start to burn fat. You build your fast twitch muscles. You'll get cut up, but won't be able to really bulk up.

I prefer to work out with hi reps and low weight when I'm learning a new exercise and want to make sure I have the movement correct, my joints and tendons get used to the movement, etc. Then I move up to heavy weight with low reps, so it's not a complete waist to do hi reps with low weight.

The best people to benefit from hi reps and low weight are poeple that are trying to lose weight and/or cut up.

Some people CAN bulk up by using hi reps and low weight, but that's not the norm.

Also depends on what you consider to be high reps and what you consider to be light weight. If you can only bench press 100 lbs, then a 50 lb bench press could be considered light weight for you. But if you can bench 500 lbs, then 200 lbs may be considered light weight for you. Also, if you think that you should only do 6 reps before moving up in weight, then doing 10 reps is a high rep for you, but if you don't move up in weight until you can do 10 reps, then 15 reps may be considered high reps for you. If you don't increase the weight that you're using, and only increase the number of reps, then you're just burning calaries and not really building muscle. Kinda like a marathon runner. I've never seen a big muscular person win a marathon.

Thread Information