Thread: injury question

rocklizard is offline Junior Member

injury question

Is there a doctor in the house!? While doing heavy preacher dumbbell(db) curls this afternoon I incurred an injury. I had done one and a half sets after following heavy straight bar curls so I was already warm.

When lowering my left arm my brachioradialis gave way and I lost control of the db. I felt like three quick pops inside just about midway down the muscle. . . so it wasn't the bicep tearing. I stopped and applied ice to keep swelling down.

Does anyone have an idea of what I have injured? I'm going to need to train around this injury as I started a cycle last Sunday. My experience tells me just to back off of the heavy exercises that compromise that muscle group for a week or so and work from there.

What about applying DMSO to the injured area? Will I get results and how often should I apply it?

Need some help here bros and sisters? Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed. I could go waste money on a doctor but you all know their answer. . .quit lifting!?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Injury

rocklizard,
    I had a similar experience about 5 years ago. I was forcing out reps doing curls and I felt the same pain that you described in you post. I to keep trying to train as I was determined that it was all in my head. The pain got so bad that I could not even reach out to pick up a glass. I went to the doctor and he x-rayed my arm. What happened in my case is that I did not tear the muscle but I did ripp the muscle away from the bone. I had to take some medication for a couple of weeks, wear a splint for about 1 1/2 months ( I believe that was how long) and could not lift with that arm for quite some time. I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but if the pain gets worse you may need to get a doctors appointment.
    IC

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    Better safe than sorry. Go to the doctor and get the diagnostic done. Xrays aren't going to give you a clear picture of soft tissue damage, so demand an MRI.

Thread Information