ross3814 is offline Member

How much is too much?

This is a question about overtraining. I am a hardgainer (ectomorph as some of you know by past threads) and I have done a lot of research on my body type. The research that ive done says that 4-5 sets per bodypart is what you need to grow. Ive done a lot of reading that says that any more than that is doing your muscles harm. I have a very hard time accepting this concept. I have cut my workouts down from 10sets pre bodypart to 6 or 7. What do you guys think. Also I cannot get my chest to grow. I ve been hitting upper chest first (ive been focusing on getting that bursting upper chest look) and I never feel it on the inside of my upper chest, always on the outside. I keep sick form too. Tell me what you think please.

I thought It was a good question. I have 10 veiws and no replies.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    I thought It was a good question. I have 10 veiws and no replies.
    give me an example of what you do for chest reps and weight

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Overtraining is different for everyone. As time has gone by, my CNS is able to recruite more muscle fibers and I'm able to acheive more in 1 set now, then i could in 3 sets a couple yrs ago. Part of it is I am also able to "tap" into more intensity.

As far as chest goes, think of every single chest exercise you can, and think of the last time you used them. Then continue your search, cuz there's tons more, some might require additional equipment like bands, but there's plenty more out there. If all you needed was one exercise to get big, then all carpenters would have 20" forearms.

I only do 1 warmup set incline
    4 heavy incline
    3 heavy flat bench
    Im under the impression that an ectomorph cannot do more than this without overtraining, but im asking you guys. I dont do any cable exercises because I was told that the presses are what is gonna build solid mounds of muscle. any comments?

I use dumbells and do 4 sets of 7 to 9 repswith 70lb dumbells incline then 3 sets 60lb 7 to 9 reps

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    I only do 1 warmup set incline
    4 heavy incline
    3 heavy flat bench
    Im under the impression that an ectomorph cannot do more than this without overtraining, but im asking you guys. I dont do any cable exercises because I was told that the presses are what is gonna build solid mounds of muscle. any comments?
    I go as heavy as I possibly can with minimal cheating.........in between the 4-6 rep range..........

I start with inclines........only because thats where I feel im lacking
    then flat bench...or flat with dumbells.....I switch it up every couple of workouts......then the same thing with decline bench.......pretty much by now my chest is totally trashed.......I do about 4 sets of each.............and then I finish with flys.........

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I start with flat bench, do 4-5 sets
    1 warmup
    185X8
    205X6
    225X3
    235X1-2
    245X1
    That was last week. I go light every other week and do explosives on the smith machine. Tossing the bar is fun. 4 sets with 135-155 for 10 explosive reps.

Then i do incline dumbells. last week was
    65X10
    75X8
    80X6
    80X5

Then i do some abs to give the tris a rest, then i do weighted dips or decline, alternating weeks. after that i do pullovers or flies, alternating weeks.

I'm also an ectomorph, don't worry about overtraining. just EAT! get 1.5-2 grams of protien each day for each lb you way, and try to sleep as much as possible. It might be hard, but if you tire yourself out enough, you should be alright. Try going a little harder on your incline DB sets, you need to work both the fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.. try to get a 4-6 rep set in there.. make sure you have a good spotter.
    cheers!
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 09-10-2003 at 12:49 AM.

yea i have been starting with inclines because it is birdish

the only thing is that i never feel the burn in the upper middle

Breetai is offline Associate Member
    to make it burn in the upper middle of the chest just push back your shoulders and lift the dumbbells just right up and down. it work for me

Thread Information