kstone6tb is offline Junior Member

lower back pain...need tips

Well, after I did about 3 sets of squats for the first time ever pretty much (although I've been training hard for over 2 years) I"ve experienced some lower back pains. The pain, or more like tightness occurs only when I try to run. I can barely run a mile before my back gets so tight, that I have to stop, and stretching dosen't seem to help. The only thing I can think of doing is running before I squat, because I didn't have time to beforehand, althought I did stretch out. I'm not sure if I pulled a muscle in my lower back, or if it's just sore because I've never really worked out legs. Sorry, I dont know much about lower body exercises, so if anybody can give me any tips, I just want to be able continue running, while trhing to bulk up the legs. Thanks a lot!!

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kstone6tb
    Well, after I did about 3 sets of squats for the first time ever pretty much (although I've been training hard for over 2 years) I"ve experienced some lower back pains. The pain, or more like tightness occurs only when I try to run. I can barely run a mile before my back gets so tight, that I have to stop, and stretching dosen't seem to help. The only thing I can think of doing is running before I squat, because I didn't have time to beforehand, althought I did stretch out. I'm not sure if I pulled a muscle in my lower back, or if it's just sore because I've never really worked out legs. Sorry, I dont know much about lower body exercises, so if anybody can give me any tips, I just want to be able continue running, while trhing to bulk up the legs. Thanks a lot!!
    whens the last time you've seen a Chiropractor?

I'm only 19, so never. You think it's really that serious?

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    I got the same pain from squats. I stopped doing them until I can pinpoint my exact form incorrectness.

Quote Originally Posted by kstone6tb
    I'm only 19, so never. You think it's really that serious?
    couldnt hurt...............and if nothing else...........youll get your 1st adjustment...............feels great....makes a difference

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Lay on the ground on your back with your feet up on a chair almost as if you are in a sitting position. Put your arms down by your sides and exhale deeply. Most of the weight will go to your back and after 15 minutes, you will feel a lot better. Do that for a week maybe once or twice a day.

From the sounds of it: You are just using muscles you havent used and they are worn out.

Thanks a lot for the advice, and bermich, i'll try that exercise, later

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Strengthen your abs to help take the load off of your lower back. It's one of the reasons so many people have back problems, their boumbaclot abs aren't strong enough.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Ronny's right. hell pretty much everyone's had something good to say

I've got chronic back pain caused by spina bifida (mild case, born with fused l2l3, l2 is misshapen). I throw my back out every 4-5 months or so, just because i'll either let my abs slide, or my lower back slide. They've got to be kept in balance. Try doing back extensions with light weight after stretching but before your workout. It'll give those muscles a nice warmup. If there's any pain in your every day life, you need to see a doc about it. You may have an underlying problem.

100571 is offline Associate Member
    Use less weight until you get your squat form dialed in. Back extensions once a week might not hurt... if your back isn't too fucked up to do them. I had the same back problem recently. Seemed like I couldn't stretch it enough, and running always made it tighter. This may sound dumb, but I bought a new pair of running shoes and the back pain went away (pretty much). You can only get 500 miles out of a pair of running shoes TOPS. If you are heavier than 180 lbs it is even less. Use your running shoes just for running. That way they will not break down so fast. Just imagine what squating 200lbs for reps does to the cushioning in the soles of your shoes! Most of the time, people don't realize that the cushioning in their shoes are worn out until they try on a new pair. It's like night and day!

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    Strengthen your abs to help take the load off of your lower back. It's one of the reasons so many people have back problems, their boumbaclot abs aren't strong enough.
    I didnt know you were jamaican ronny?

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I think it's mainly my form, I"m think I might be wavering a little coming up; in other words, not coming straight up. My legs are WEEEAK!! later

BulkT is offline New Member
    Just really concentrate on building up those wheels tall boy

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    as somebody else said, squat LIGHT

especially until you get you form down. you've never done squats and your body takes some time to get used to them. when i started doing them i made the mistake of working out with 185 and did something to my neck giving me an intense headache. after the workout i got very nauseus and started shaking along with cold sweats...not a pleasent experience by any means

that was about 2 months ago, the next workout i did 135 and although i felt like a pussy (damn ego) it was still a good workout and i was sore the next day. right now i'm working out with 155 and still getting plenty sore

Thread Information