sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel

Buying dumbell sets

Anyone know where the best place to buy dumbell sets is? I have looked at places like fitnessfactory.com and for a set of pro-style dumbells 5-100's it's over $2000.00 with delivery and racks.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to add a nice set to the home gym.

Thanks.

100571 is offline Associate Member
    BUMP. I'm getting tires of loading and unloading those dinky little plates on my DBs. Althought 2K is a bit much!

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    The best thing you could do would be to wait for a fitness club auction. You can usually pick up stuff for .30 on the $. it's a real bargain.

I paid about $2,200 for a new set of Ivanko's (35-130's) in 5lb increments. It cost me almost $800 to get them shipped to me from San Pedro, CA. If I had waited for an auction, I'm sure I could have picked up a complete set for less than $1k (probably ~$700).

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Are there any second hand sports shop's in your area. We have a couple here in FL, Play It Again Sports is one. They have pretty good deals now and then. Goldenear's suggestion is a good one as well.

hybrid is offline Member
    I have a set of PowerBlock selectorized dumbells. With the add on set I have 125lbs per dumbell all the way down to 5lbs in 5lb increments. They are very nice and take up very little space. I think they were about $500 for the set and stand.
    Here is a link to their website. You get them from a higher end fitness store.
    http://www.powerblock.com/frame.html

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I've seen those before Hybrid. I was always curious if they were any good.

hybrid is offline Member
    I really like them, especially because they don't take up any space. And switching between weights is pretty easy. With those and an adjustable bench I can get a pretty acceptable workout on days that I can't make it to the gym.

hybrid is offline Member
    Oh, one other thing. You might want to look on ebay from time to time for them. Some idiot who wasn't honest with the fact that he is lazy and is never going to use them is always auctioning them off. The only trick is finding someone who is auctioning them close to you since they are heavy and would be too expensive to ship.

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid
    I really like them, especially because they don't take up any space. And switching between weights is pretty easy. With those and an adjustable bench I can get a pretty acceptable workout on days that I can't make it to the gym.
    Yeah, the powerblocks are actually pretty decent... the only problem is that the bottom of them is where the weight is, so they aren't balanced perfectly, but for 99.9% of things that's OK. The space they save more than makes up for it.

I travel a lot, and a lot of the hotels I stay at are starting to add them to the "gym" they have.

ndd

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I've been looking into getting more weights for my home gym and it seems way cheaper to just get them locally, because the shipping is so expensive on the internet. One place I saw had free shipping, but they made up for it in the cost of the weights. If you don't want to wait for an auction, The Sports Authority seems to have pretty decent prices on their plates and octigon dumbells. Also, I prefer the octigon, because the weights don't roll. They stay where you put them.

Imfamous10 is offline Junior Member
    I just took my broke ass to Wal-mart and got some cheap dumbell handles and some more weight, everything is synchronized to fit all the bars(and cable maching) at my house, sweet deal, for broke people at least

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Just talked to play it again sports and they normally do 49 cents per pound on new hex dumbells but he said if I buy a minimum set from 5-50 then I would get a 20% discount so that is 39 cents per pound. He said they normally carry up to 75lb but he can order up to 120lb for me. I am very interested, especially since I could do a set from 5 to 100 for about $820. Now I would need to buy racks but a full set to 100 for $820 sounds great!

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Just talked to play it again sports and they normally do 49 cents per pound on new hex dumbells but he said if I buy a minimum set from 5-50 then I would get a 20% discount so that is 39 cents per pound. He said they normally carry up to 75lb but he can order up to 120lb for me. I am very interested, especially since I could do a set from 5 to 100 for about $820. Now I would need to buy racks but a full set to 100 for $820 sounds great!

I have a full set cant remember what the max pounds are its at my friends house i have the racks and all that.
    WHo wants to play lets make a deal

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    I have a full set cant remember what the max pounds are its at my friends house i have the racks and all that.
    WHo wants to play lets make a deal

he prolly already sold all your shit at a garage sale

Thread Information