hoss827 is offline Banned

Whats a good chest workout?

Hey guys, I've been trying to get my chest bigger for along time now, and I am not getting better in any of my chest workouts. I've gotten better at everything else however, biceps are 16.5 inches, legs are great as well as back. But I'm having trouble with chest for some reason :-/. I dunno if it's my workout or what. I weigh 165 and I am stuck at 135 for my bench and its not getting any better.

Id appreciate it if you guys would post your chest workout for me so I can compare mine to everyone elses, and try them out and see how well they work for me. My chest workout consists of 3 sets incline bench, 3 sets decline bench, 3 sets bench, 2 sets dumbell flys, lots of pushups which are helpin my triceps alot, but nothin for my chest. Help me out bros! Thanks!

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I was in the same boat as you. I just started working out again about four months ago. I wasn't able to push 80 lbs for 10 reps when I first started. Now I'm only up to 150 lbs, but it's still an improvement. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder that kept me from doing benches for about a month. I learned how to get past sticking points and stuff a while back. I've always worked out off and on. We have about the same build also.

1st of all, it seems like you may be overtraining your chest. I tried a working out the exact same way, except for the pushups, and I didn't make any gains either.

When I get stuck, I do one of two things. I either put more weight on and try to force it and then go back to the weight I got stuck at (the next time I work out). Or, I drop the amount of weight by about 20 lbs and work up the number of reps I can do.

I work out my chest twice a week and I play it by ear. I wait until I feel that my chest is recovered. I don't keep myself set to any particular days. Side note: I believe you should have a good arm foundation first. You can't push as much if you have weak arms. I also believe you should start off with light weights, so your tendons, joints, connective tissue, etc are able to build up and get used to the type of stress that benchpresses put on you. A few years ago I was making my way up to about 150 lbs and it felt like my arms were going to fall off, my rib cage felt like it was going to fall apart, but my muscles were able to push the weight.

I stoped doing all three presses and concentrated on one. I do just the flat bench right now. Once I'm more comfortable with the 150 lbs, I'll work on my incline bench and then my decline bench. Then I'll probably work up to about 175 lbs on the flat bench before hitting the incline and decline again.

I do one or two wormup reps before lifting the actual workout weight. That also helps a lot. But I only do like 5 reps on the warmups.

That way, I'm not overdoing it. When the chest starts to get bigger, then you can get away with doing all three benches in one workout, because it's harder to overtrain a larger muscle. And in reality, our chests are just too small to handle the type of workout plans that the bigger guys can.

Also, I do a lot of stretching, between sets, after I work out, and while I'm recovering. Stretching seems to help more with the muscles looking bigger than with actual strength.

Plenty of sleep seems to help. I have the luxury of being able to take a nap in the afternoon and that seems to help. My muscles actually feel stiffer when I wake up from a nap.

I hope that helps at least a little. We seem to have simular body types and that's what works for me.

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    try to fatigue the chest w/flyes prior to presses, you may not be able to lift heavy but you'll start to notice the chest working harder... also try to develop a muscle mind connection.. concentrate on flexing the chest when either the bar or dumbbells are at the highest point.. another might be to switch up the routine like if your strongest at inclines do flat or vice versa and always keep good form... good luck

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Try desending sets...warm your chest up, then load the bar with a weight you now you can press for one rep. This is your starting point. After that set drop the weight in 20lb. incraments for another 4-5 sets. Go to failure with every set. You will need someone to spot you. This works great for incline or flat bench press...haven't tried it on declines yet. I love to do this to shook my chest, it fills like every muscle fiber is torched when I finish. Good luck bro.

blazenbell is offline Associate Member
    try changing exercises and grips...

speedsta is offline Junior Member
    Its important to change your exercise routine constantly.
    What I mean is, dont do the same exercises over and over again, you have to shock your muscles by introducing new exercises every now and then.

And push ups are great. Try super sets with push ups and another chest exercise.

Thanks for the posts guys. I have a better idea of how the chest recovers, and better exercises for it. I have a decent arm founation, 16.5 inch biceps. But now I think I am ready to get my chest goin! :-D Thanks again.

Pump57334 is offline New Member

Chest Easy

To promote Chest Growth i do 3x3Flat Heavy adding weight for each rep Then same thing for INcline and Decline But after i do my heavy sets i do sets of 3x20 wide grip wich helps chest and close grip wich helps triceps doing these sets after the heavy sets help tear done the muscles. Week to week switch up reps 3x3 5x5 3x8 Help with Platea's

When i say wide grip that mean light weight and as wide as you can go my friend who works out with me has to reverse his grip on the bar because his wrist can't take the pressure but he has seen AWSOME GAINS on the bench
    since I have been training him he has gone from 185 MAX to a 265 Max
    2 months 5 days a weight mon- friday training

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Well this is an old thread!!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Aww Hossy stuck at 135 Young hossy. ARms 16.5 my ass..theyre 15 now and ur 2 years older

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Aww Hossy stuck at 135 Young hossy. ARms 16.5 my ass..theyre 15 now and ur 2 years older
    I was a fat ****, just like you

God damn people need to quit bumping old threads.

Btw, theyre 16 cold now

chest6 is offline Banned
    haha I was gonna say when I was fat mine were 18

Anabolios is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah when i first read this i was like wtf...cuz i know hoss is on cycle so i was thinkin wtf is he benchin 135 for lol hows that cycle going anyways? and how the hell did Pump57334 find this thread to bump it..VERY random

hows that cycle goin anyways hoss?

Thread Information