Slugger is offline Junior Member

Deadlifts build traps as good as shrugs?

Would doing deads build traps as good as shrugs? Lets say I was pressed for time (and energy) and I just did deads, could I build some solid thick traps by just doing deads?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I wouldn't think the dead lifts contract the muscle as good as actually shrugging the weight.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Hey just shrug it up at the top of your deadlift.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have had awesome back soreness following days I do deads. At the top of the lift, pull your traps in... don't rotate your shoulders though - concentrate on just pulling your traps together.

Something that I use religously, and like to show others is doing Dumbell Shrugs on an Incline Bench. You position the bench at its highest angle (almost perpendicular to the floor), grab a pair of heavy db's and lay down with your chest against the pad. Then shrug away. I feel it work the traps at a much more effective angle than standing up right. Your traps are on top of your back - not your shoulders! Try it, you'll probably get hooked on doing shrugs this way too...

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    If you are pressed for time, do what Warrior has given you. If you are really pressed for time superset shrugs and deads.

However, to answer your question, deads will build your traps but will not hit them as concentrated as shrugs.

D

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    As soon as I stopped doing shrugs, my traps started growing from the deads. Now I have frickin mountins.

Thread Information