Thread: Adreniline

Slugger is offline Junior Member

Adreniline

I asked this question on the powerlifting board and I'll ask it here.

This question isn't really about working out but about adreniline. Why is it that mentally ill individuals are extremely powerful when they are pissed off. Is it something to do with their adreniline glands or something? I've talked to my friend who is a cop and he says bi polar people are freaky strong.

Anyone know why?

By the way, this site rocks!

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    I asked this question on the powerlifting board and I'll ask it here.

This question isn't really about working out but about adreniline. Why is it that mentally ill individuals are extremely powerful when they are pissed off. Is it something to do with their adreniline glands or something? I've talked to my friend who is a cop and he says bi polar people are freaky strong.

Anyone know why?

By the way, this site rocks!
    yes i have a friend who is the same way

he kinda blacks out and doesn't remember, or feel a thing

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple of reason why some people appear to be stronger. One reason is the mental incapacity. An old saying is that a bee is not supposed to be able to fly, because it's wings are way too small in proportion to it's body. The only reason why a bee can fly is because it doesn't know that it's not supposed to be able to fly. In a person, that can be translated into a couple different things. 1) you may appear to be stronger if you don't regulate how much force you use or have a difficult time telling when to use extra force. For example, you and I know that when playing with a 10 year old, you don't use all of your strength, you use just enough power. But they don't know that and they use all of their power. Just like if confronting a cop. The normal person has a mental block on how much power they use against a cop, because they don't want to get shot, but they won't see the danger and will use their full strength. We generally use the minimal amount of force needed. If you try to use just enough power to handle a person and that person exherts maximum power, they will seem to be much stronger than you. In most cases, if you use you're full strength against one of them, they don't seem quite as strong. 2) they don't know what the limits are or have any preconceived notions as to how strong they SHOULD be. When we sit under a 600 lb bar, we rationalize that we can't lift that much weight, so we won't even try. While as one of them may try it. They may visualize themself as being able to lift it easily. They also won't be able to lift it, but if you make the weight 300 lbs, they just might be able to do it. In relation to that, there is also a different pain threshould and a different reaction to pain. They may be more ready to fight instead of flea.

As far as physiology, a mentally ill person can have any number of physiological or chemical probelms in their brain. Depending on what the physiological problem is, they just may be able to produce more adrenaline and release it much quicker. I would imagine it may be to compensate for the lack of rational ability (brain vs. braun). Adrenaline can cause boosts in strength and speed (that's why the release of adrenaline is considered the "flight or fight" response).

Practical reasons can be what the person does. I mean for a living, for fun, etc. Most of them don't have the ability to hold down full time jobs, but when they do have a job, it's usually physical. If they do work around the house, they usually do physical work, such as yard work. So, even though they don't tend to work out in a gym, they do tend to get their fair share of muscle building done.

My degree is in psych, but I never did any research on the particular question you asked. But to the best of my training, those are the most likely reasons I can think of, unless you can relate it to a specific mental illness or disorder. Hope that helps a little.

Thread Information