DBarcelo is offline Senior Member

Bicep gain average or not....

I recently started working out again. I've been keeping a record of my measurements for the past three months. I am just wondering if my bicep gains are good, or a little below average.

I've gained 4 cm. (1.5 in.) in the past 3 months. No steroids , no growth hormones, no prohormones, nothing. I usually gain about half a cm. per week (which is usually one or two workouts). Of course I have gone a few weeks with no gains, but for the most part, it's .5 cm per week.

I'm pretty happy with my gains, but I'm wondering if I really should be gaining faster than this.

Thanks for your input and your opinions.

Braveheart311 is offline New Member
    sounds like a pretty solid natural gains. keep us the good work.

Braveheart311 is offline New Member
    wow, im really not that bad of a speller.

AndroholiK is offline Junior Member
    Those are some impressive gains. I'd say your measurements are great. Unforutantely, I have stubborn arms, I don't gain much more than 1 inch every 6 months or even longer.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like good gains bro..

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    The key phrase was "recently started working out again." Muscles have memory so your going to make good gains for the first few months. Everything slows down the longer you workout. If it didn't you could just keep growing to 30- 40" arms(just joking bro). Your gains look good to me, keep up the hard work. Can you say new shirts!!!!!!!

I am aware of the whole, "muscle memory" principle. I took that into account and didn't start measuring again until I had been working out again for about two months. I also got the records from the last time I had been working out and started measuring from where I had left off the last time I was working out. For example, if my low point last time was 30cm and my high point was 35cm, I waited until I was 35cm this time before starting to take measurements again. So the gains I've been making (and recording this time around) have been from all new muscle growth and not from my muscles rebounding to where they were before. And I think I did acknowledge in one of my other posts on this thread that I know there's a point that we all stop growing. The human body only has but so much potential. And FYI, muscles don't HAVE memory, you can mislead someone that doesn't know anything about working out.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm coming down on you, I tend to be streight to the point and people think I'm being mean or something. I appreciate your comments and they may give someone reading them some idea of what to expect when they only work out off and on like I've done.

And I just made up those measurements, I don't have my chart infront of me. But the gains I mentioned earlier are accurate.

Thanks again.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I am aware of the whole, "muscle memory" principle. I took that into account and didn't start measuring again until I had been working out again for about two months. I also got the records from the last time I had been working out and started measuring from where I had left off the last time I was working out. For example, if my low point last time was 30cm and my high point was 35cm, I waited until I was 35cm this time before starting to take measurements again. So the gains I've been making (and recording this time around) have been from all new muscle growth and not from my muscles rebounding to where they were before. And I think I did acknowledge in one of my other posts on this thread that I know there's a point that we all stop growing. The human body only has but so much potential. And FYI, muscles don't HAVE memory, you can mislead someone that doesn't know anything about working out.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm coming down on you, I tend to be streight to the point and people think I'm being mean or something. I appreciate your comments and they may give someone reading them some idea of what to expect when they only work out off and on like I've done.

And I just made up those measurements, I don't have my chart infront of me. But the gains I mentioned earlier are accurate.

Thanks again.
    yeah, like someone else mentioned...since you just started again 3 months ago your body is still making good gains

i was making good gains as well, but now mine is starting to slow down

do you do any workouts that target the biceps specifically?

I didn't just start working out three months ago, I started to do measurements again about three months ago (after I got back up to where I was when I was working out last time).

I do expect to slow down any time now. But every time I think I've stopped, or slowed down, I end up making the same gains.

And yes, the first thing I started to concentrate on was my arms, then my back and now my chest. I had to build my endurance to working out, so now I'm concentrating on building my arms, back and chest and just hitting everything else lightly. I've learned what parts of my body build up easily and what parts are more difficult to build. My arms, chest and back give the most trouble, so that's why I'm concentrating on them first.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I didn't just start working out three months ago, I started to do measurements again about three months ago (after I got back up to where I was when I was working out last time).

I do expect to slow down any time now. But every time I think I've stopped, or slowed down, I end up making the same gains.

And yes, the first thing I started to concentrate on was my arms, then my back and now my chest. I had to build my endurance to working out, so now I'm concentrating on building my arms, back and chest and just hitting everything else lightly. I've learned what parts of my body build up easily and what parts are more difficult to build. My arms, chest and back give the most trouble, so that's why I'm concentrating on them first.
    Sounds like you know your body well and what it takes to make it grow. Keep up the good work and good luck bro.

Thanks a lot. It has taken a lot of work to know my body as well as I do. I'm actually still learning, because I've never really stuck with it for more than 7 months, but when I did workout, it was more like a research project.

Thread Information