nj123 is offline Member

hernia... what can i still do?

i have a hernia and i wont be getting the surgery for another month or so, i was wondering what kind of lifting i shouldnt do? i was thinking of just taking squats and dead lifts out of the routine and not even working my legs except for calves. The lump is right above and to the right of my dong haha... theres no pain there so what do yall think

Testify is offline Senior Member
    There definitely will be pain if you reinjure it squatting. The thought just . . . ouch. Serious tearing could occur, so you are right to do away with heavy lifting - especially those lifts that require torso stabilization. You might be able to do some upperbody excercises, if you stick to isolation movements. Using machines rather than free weights would also be good.

T

nj123 is offline Member
    im guessing working the abs would be bad too? yea i know what you mean testify, even without the hernia it feels like somethin is going to pop when doing heavy squats i wont dare get under the bar again with it and i know when i get the surgery done the thought will always be there when im squating damn this sucks ass

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You should speak to your doctor. There is a special belt that you can wear. I don't remember what it's called, but you wear it under your underpants, it wraps around the back and has two half ball things in the front. The purpose of it is to put preasure on the hernia and keeps the intestine from purtruding under preasure. With that device on, you should be able to do just about any excercise while sitting. Avoid standing excercises and any very heavy lifting. Even after the operation, you have to be careful.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Go to rotten.com and see what happens to weightlifters with that problem

hawk9603 is offline Junior Member
    bro i had a hernia last year it sucked i lost alot of size(was on celltech and nlarge) and the only thing i was allowed to was arms but i just took like a month off instead best of luck wit the operation

nj123 is offline Member
    i had the surgery last thursday and i feel like i could do bench and arms totally fine but i still have a little discomfort only in certain positions or certain movements. Do yall think i should hold off for a while? If anyone else has had this surgery how long did it take you till you were back in the gym lifting?

i had a bilateral hernia operation on dec. 15, '03 and my surgeon still won't let me go back yet. it takes approx. one month to six weeks to heal well. talk to your primary care physician/surgeon and make sure everything is healed totally to start working out regularly again. then you will be good as new. don't go in and work out and try to get big again right away. it won't happen. instead, you'll bust a nut and i don't mean havin sex!

nj123 is offline Member
    i had that surgery a while back and have been back in the gym for like 3 months

dirtysicks is offline New Member
    I am going to see the surgeon today, my hernia is above the belly button. I can got to the gym at all, dont want it to tear more, thus the healing time after surgery will be longer.

dirtysicks is offline New Member
    I will get surgery 02/04/04. No lifting for 6 weeks.

Jackman is offline Banned
    That picture on rotten was just grosssssssss

Thread Information