HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

dumbells or bar bench for mass

which variation tends to build more mass ? i feel like i work my chest alot better when doing dumbell press but i have heard that the bar will put more mass on your chest ? need some advice a little unsure !

talon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    which variation tends to build more mass ? i feel like i work my chest alot better when doing dumbell press but i have heard that the bar will put more mass on your chest ? need some advice a little unsure !
    Barbell definantly for mass and strength. Dumbells work more stabilizers so you can get a tone and a cut faster.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    Both

hawk9603 is offline Junior Member
    barbell flat dumbell incline just switched it up though to the oppositeto see if i see any future growth

but basically you find the most growth with barbell? what about dumbells of barbells for shoulder press ?

TheJuicer is offline Member
    After about 8 weeks of Barbell incl. and flats my chest quits responding..if I then hit DB for 8 weeks my chest gets amazing pumps...and here comes the growth again..give it a try..

Future is offline New Member
    Both...VARIETY VARIETY VARIETY. Vary the reps as well. Also consider reps speed and rest intervals.

the way that a pro told me to train is to use say barbells for chest for about a month then switch to dumbells so that for that month you keep building your strength so that you get the optimal use of the exercise then repeat this method for another variation ex. dumbell press, anybody have anything to add to that ?

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future
    Both...VARIETY VARIETY VARIETY. Vary the reps as well. Also consider reps speed and rest intervals.

I couldn't agree more. Except, I'm trying a new variation, and doing a 6-8 week push up program.

I'll do push ups starting on boxes 7 inches tall, and explode from them so my hands leave the box and land in between them for a closer push up and explode from the ground back onto the boxes. I'll superset that with pushups on a 12lb sit up ball. It's small, about the size of a womans baskeball. I'm going to work my way to doing those box pushups with my feet raised to a bench height and then using a weight vest. After that program, I'll move back to dumbells. I don't vary with barbell only because I'm trying to strengthen my right shoulder more.

Doc

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future
    I also agree with this...they are both good.

just to mix things up sometimes I do Flat bench barbell press then incline db press...other times I might do Incline bench press then flat db press...variety in exercises, reps, # of sets, and rest between sets, that's what keeps my muscles shocked and never lets them get use to doing the same things over and over.

Thread Information