wannagrow is offline New Member

Trap bar deadlifts

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you have used a trap bar before and whether you had any success using it.

I've been using it lately to train legs and it allows me to go superlow (for me that is) and hit my quads really hard. being 6"4 i find it difficult to do squats maintaining good technique with any sort of weight heavy enought to properly work my legs. Its not a matter of flexibily cause I am quite flexible and able to do the movement, its just i end up getting alot of forward lean wich puts unwanted perssure on my back. anyway any personal experience or advice will be helpful.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I never used the trap bar personally. It seems like you can't really go as heavy with the trap bar as you can with a streight bar on your shoulders, because you are relying on your arms to hold on to the weight aposed to the weight just sitting on your soulders. It would also seem to me that you would have to bend a bit so that the bar doesn't hit your shin (I asume you're standing in the middle of the bar), which still puts preasure on your lower back. I would just use a squat machine if you don't want to risk your lower back. The machine keeps your back completely streight.

This is just my opinion, I don't have any experience using the trap bar to do squats, I'm just going by the way the bar is designed.

wannagrow is offline New Member
    your absolutely right about the weight, but ive only done it a few times but it seems that 200lbs feels heavier than over 300lbs on squat. and gave me a real good workout, beacuse of the shape of the bar it never goes near your shins like an ordinary deadlift, but even if it did a little scraped skin never hurt anyone. I'm not set on them i'm just curious.

Thread Information