kstone6tb is offline Junior Member

Are "cheater" curls safe??

I was just browsing through the "Arnold Encyclopedia" the other day, and I noticed that he advises to performer cheater curls when you can no longer do any more with correct form. Although this is coming from 'the man', are these things safe? It seems to me that using momentum from you back and shoulders would be a risky idea. Anybody have an idea is this is true or not because I am interested in trying these out but without any kind of injuries. Thanks,
    Kstone

someday is offline Member
    horrible idea......my roommate did 'em and tore somethin in his back and was on pain medicine for like 2 weeks.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure that it goes on to say that you should only do cheating reps for the last one or two reps, and no more than that. If you do your last rep by cheating, then you're not in too much danger of doing any damage, but if you push out like five reps with bad form, you can hurt yourself.

In reality, it's almost impossible to do your final curl without cheating to some degree (if you're working until failure). Most people feel it in their shoulder when they do their last rep in standing curls or bench press (if you're working until failure). That exagerated, basically putting your body under the weight instead of lifting it, is pretty useless when it comes to curls.

The whole concept of the cheating rep is to get your body and your brain used to the idea that you need more from your muscles and your current muscle mass isn't enough, which makes your body realize that it has to grow in order to compensate. If all of your reps are in proper form and you're not working until complete failure, then your body and your brain will feel that it's current condition is good enough for the amount of work it has to do (At least that's what I rember the basic principle to be).

I cheat on my final rep on almost all of my movements, and I haven't gotten hurt yet. The times that I have injured myself (very rare), it was from not worming up enough and I felt it early on in the exercise.

I say, give it a try. Make sure you're warmed up though. And if you have a pre-disposition for a certain type of injury, you just may get it no matter what you do. Good luck.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    I agree with DBarcelo cheats should only be done on the last few reps when you are pushing so hard it is imposible to get a corect one. Train smart and train safe

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I really thing it depends on how much you cheat. I like to use perfect form but if I can't get my last rep and have no spotter I cheat. But if you just flat out have no chance of getting it up and you swing it from the bottom thats dangerous IMO. Its a good way to f... up your back.

kstone6tb is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot for the replies bros. Yah, one of the reasons I was considering trying these is because my workout partner moved 30 miles away and I have been lifting solo for the last couple of weeks. Thanks again.
    Kstone

Thread Information