SL Deadlifts

Huge question--

I have been doing stiff legged deadlifts for my hamstrings:
    2 Warm ups
    135 - 6-8 times
    185 - 4-6 times
    205 - 2-4 times
    225 - 1-2 times

The problem is that at 185 to 225 my grip isnt strong enough to hold the bar. I could actually be doing more than this for the actual deadlift but my grip just can't do it. I have tried lifting straps for the past two weeks now and they don't do shit. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? I NEED HELP MY HAMSTRINGS ARE SUFFERING!
    Thanks Bros

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Switch to dumbells, you'll get an awesome workout with much less weight. I do 4 sets of 45Lb dumbel stiffs with 4 sets of leg curls and I can barely lower myself down on the toilet the next day

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Pheedno's suggestion is a real good one. I stand on a block or a bench when doing them to get a little more stretch. I like to start with the barbell and finish with dumbbells. If you want to stick to a bar then you'll have to work on your grip. Why didn't the straps work, I've never had a problem with them. Curious

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    Thanks pheedno

I'll give it a try--sounds like a good idea

Any other ideas anyone?

im not sure why the straps didnt work-- i even looked at a video of how to use lifting straps because i thought i must be doing something wrong. But nope--i cant figure it out myself--its actually a little worse with the lifting straps because i feel like they are slipping constantly-- any suggs?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    You can use an alternating grip, one palm facing up, one palm facing down. If you are hand/elbow/wrist injury free and can't hang on to 225 with an alternating grip for 30 secs you need to worry about your grip more than your stiff leg deads.

yeah i've never really tried alternating grip (it always felt too weird) but i'll definately try it out-- im going to experiment a little more
    Thanks bros

GOOD NEWS!

I tried out the dumbells and the alternating grip methods. The dumbell is great for focusing on the hamstrings more. Today I did more weight than my usuall sets with an alternated grip on my SL deadlifts. HOLY SHIT. I cant believe i was ever so ignorant to not even try it because it felt wierd. I love it. I can finally do the weight my hamstrings deserve and do it with confidence that my grip wont slip. Thanks guys HUGE help

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Ecto, remeber to switch the hand you rotate so that one doesn't become weaker than the other. If you have the left hand toward your body and the right facing out, switch them on the next set and so on. Glad to read it's working for you....keep pushing bro.

DRIVEIT!! is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ectogainer
    Huge question--

I have been doing stiff legged deadlifts for my hamstrings:
    2 Warm ups
    135 - 6-8 times
    185 - 4-6 times
    205 - 2-4 times
    225 - 1-2 times

The problem is that at 185 to 225 my grip isnt strong enough to hold the bar. I could actually be doing more than this for the actual deadlift but my grip just can't do it. I have tried lifting straps for the past two weeks now and they don't do shit. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? I NEED HELP MY HAMSTRINGS ARE SUFFERING!
    Thanks Bros
    You must not be using the straps right ?? and beside i dont think these are an exercise you should be doin gwith that low of a rep scheme try sets of 10 -12

Thanks for all the tips guys - i appreciate the help

Thread Information