View Poll Results: Max dumbell bench without help getting dumbbells into position?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50-60 lbs each dumbbell

2 5.56%
  • 65-75 lbs each dumbbell

2 5.56%
  • 80-90 lbs each dumbbell

8 22.22%
  • 95-105 lbs each dumbbell

5 13.89%
  • 105+ lbs each dumbbell

19 52.78%
    sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel

Dumbbell Poll - Bench Press Weight w/ no spot

What is the max dumbbells you would be able to safely use by yourself for bench press at home. How do you put a 100lb dumbell on your knee and then with one hand pick up another while holding on to the first one?

What the max you can do alone?

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Best way to pick up dumbells to bench with is to first pick up both dumbells and then place in front of knees. Then sit down on bench with dumbells resting on knees. As you go to lay down on bench use knees to kick dumbells up into position.

jersey juice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike7000
    Best way to pick up dumbells to bench with is to first pick up both dumbells and then place in front of knees. Then sit down on bench with dumbells resting on knees. As you go to lay down on bench use knees to kick dumbells up into position.
    YUP! I've only used 100lb dbs... I dunno about going heavier alone.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey juice
    YUP! I've only used 100lb dbs... I dunno about going heavier alone.
    What jj said about 100lb db w/o spot is about the max for me.

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    bump... 105 is my max

compwhiz16 is offline Junior Member
    Yep, just like ironmike has said. That is the way I get them in position....I can get a decent 4-5 reps with 100's. Got 2 with 105.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    80X10 I never maxed, but according to one rep max calc it would be around 107 im not sure if i agree with that, i guess i will have to test it.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Thanks ironmike that is a big clue you gave me. My dumb self was always picking them up off the floor already seated, your tip will help me big time. Thanks.

How the hell does Ronnie Coleman do 200's, amazing to watch!

mass junkie is offline banned
    ever notice that its harder to get the actual weights up for the 1st rep than it is all the other reps..............I can get about 6 good reps with 115's......

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    110x6x3 for me. I love this exercize more than bench press. It drives me nuts when I see guys in the gym using crappy range of motion though. The sides of the dumbells should touch the sides of your chest. Yeah, look at the big freak over there using 150s. But his arms aren't even at 90 degrees at the bottom point. Pathetic.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    110x6x3 for me. I love this exercize more than bench press. It drives me nuts when I see guys in the gym using crappy range of motion though. The sides of the dumbells should touch the sides of your chest. Yeah, look at the big freak over there using 150s. But his arms aren't even at 90 degrees at the bottom point. Pathetic.
    I've heard if you go too low or too high you're asking for shoulder injury.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    i believe the correct form is to keep your elbow paralell to your shoulders at the bottom of the movement (maybe i tiny bit below the shoulder) whenever possible, otherwise you do risk injury.

However i can not say that you should do this because i myself do like the stretch i get when bringing my elbow just below my shoulder. I love the stretch
    Last edited by BigMike J; 09-19-2003 at 03:10 AM.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Just think of it like a bench press. If there were an imaginary bar connecting the grips on the dumbells, it would touch your chest. If correct form is used, the only time I would worry about shoulder injury is when dropping the dumbells after the last rep. That can get hairy sometimes.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    If you strong enough to press them you should be strong enough to get them down without dropping them.

xxxl83

hybrid is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    ever notice that its harder to get the actual weights up for the 1st rep than it is all the other reps..............I can get about 6 good reps with 115's......
    I was thinking the same thing. Once the first rep is up, it is much easier. The complete opposite of most lifts.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    The first rep is harder because there is no stretch reflex at the bottom, on the rest of the reps you've got the stretch reflex helping you out.

xxxl83

clipper is offline Associate Member
    W/O a spot i can get up 130 for 6. I get them up the same way as everyone else. With help on one i can do 165 for 4. I go all the way down past were if there was a bar it would touch my chest.
    But i cant do that with a bar. I hurts my shoulder to bad.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Thanks ironmike that is a big clue you gave me. My dumb self was always picking them up off the floor already seated, your tip will help me big time. Thanks.

How the hell does Ronnie Coleman do 200's, amazing to watch!
    Glad I could help.By the way I prefer to use a barbell for flat benching. But I do dumbells for inclines. I can do 100's for 5-6 reps.

MJSbossman is offline New Member
    There's no need for a spot. The first rep is hard, but I think it's lame to depend on someone to help you.

The heaviest DBs in my school gym are 100s, last time I got the 100s for 13 reps on the bench. The 100s are pretty easy to handle, actually.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I've never used them, but I've seen these hooks around lately. I guess you put the hooks on a barbell and then put the dumbells on the hooks, then you lay on the bench and just lift the dumbells off of the hooks (which are still hanging on the barbell). I think the max weight is like 200 lbs per hook.

Swellin Guest
    Well, I was the first to vote for the 65's. I have no problem admitting it because....they are the biggest dumbell (weights) in our gym.

I can only claim the 65's since that is the biggest we have. Us poor folks down south have to substitute tractor weights and such.

Ironweb is offline Member
    I go 110 for 6 or 7. I have found it is best when kicking the weights from your knees to keep your elbows in and the Db parallel with your body. Then I turn the weight out and begin.

alko is offline Junior Member
    110 for 5*3, but at an incline position since it is easier to get up and just put the dumbbells down when you are sitting up again. I do not want to throw/drop them on the floor since I am working out at home. It is a little more effort to get up if doing a flat bench, but it can be done...

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I might have to strain a bit, but I can get it up there :-). I might have to slam the dumbells down real hard though, lol.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Shit I did the 150's for 6 with out a spot on monday... Best bench was 405 for 3 over the summer, I really dont do dumbells that much...I front squated 365 to the floor for 6 reps on weds..

Thread Information