Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Calipso's Avatar
    Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Freakville, MA
    Posts
    1,689

    Stuck on........(Chest)

    I've been doing chest nights by myself (Where I work 3rd shift). So with no spotter I've been keeping lower than my max.

    This morning all I could do was....

    225x4
    215x6
    205x6

    I'm like WTF. I usually can max out at 235-245. I was playing it safe because I'm buy myself at the job and if I dropped that shit I'd be screwed. Problem is. I've been stuck at this level for a while on bench. My chest and my delts are my weakest links. Any suggestions on getting the chest more of a work out? (My tricep routine is golden).

    Regular Bench (3 sets + 1 warmup)
    Incline Bench (3 sets)
    Decline Bench (1 set)
    Cable Flys (2 sets)

    I strech inbetween workouts and my chest usually is worked out along side of my back. So not much of a problem like as if I were doing tricep/chest instead. Lend me a hand bro's. I wanna get my bench up a little higher before I start my cycle next month.

  2. #2
    Ironweb's Avatar
    Ironweb is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    567
    Try switching your routine and do some flys instead of bench for 2 or 3 weeks. Go as deep and as heavy as you can with the flys.

  3. #3
    katdaddy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    I've been doing chest nights by myself (Where I work 3rd shift). So with no spotter I've been keeping lower than my max.

    This morning all I could do was....

    225x4
    215x6
    205x6

    I'm like WTF. I usually can max out at 235-245. I was playing it safe because I'm buy myself at the job and if I dropped that shit I'd be screwed. Problem is. I've been stuck at this level for a while on bench. My chest and my delts are my weakest links. Any suggestions on getting the chest more of a work out? (My tricep routine is golden).

    Regular Bench (3 sets + 1 warmup)
    Incline Bench (3 sets)
    Decline Bench (1 set)
    Cable Flys (2 sets)

    I strech inbetween workouts and my chest usually is worked out along side of my back. So not much of a problem like as if I were doing tricep/chest instead. Lend me a hand bro's. I wanna get my bench up a little higher before I start my cycle next month.

    Your not getting enought endurance work, your reps are too low & too heavy that's why your max is going down. You should get your ego in check & take the weight down so that you can get at least 10 hard reps for 3 sets. (the 10th rep should feel as heavy as your max)

    Also, try doing shoulders instead of back. Your putting a ton of effort in your bench session that your back session may suffer a bit. By doing shoulders they are already pre-exhausted so you should really be able to tear them down more by doing them on bench day. The same goes for triceps.

    One last thing, if your concentrating on your bench you need to be benching twice a week one heavy one light day. I would scrap the decline bench & the cable cross overs if your tring to add raw power, & do dumbell bench & dumbell flyes instead. (both incline & flat)

    With this info your bench will start to increase again!

    Good luck Bro!!!
    Last edited by katdaddy; 10-04-2003 at 07:40 AM.

  4. #4
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    I've been doing chest nights by myself (Where I work 3rd shift). So with no spotter I've been keeping lower than my max.

    This morning all I could do was....

    225x4
    215x6
    205x6

    I'm like WTF. I usually can max out at 235-245. I was playing it safe because I'm buy myself at the job and if I dropped that shit I'd be screwed. Problem is. I've been stuck at this level for a while on bench. My chest and my delts are my weakest links. Any suggestions on getting the chest more of a work out? (My tricep routine is golden).

    Regular Bench (3 sets + 1 warmup)
    Incline Bench (3 sets)
    Decline Bench (1 set)
    Cable Flys (2 sets)

    I strech inbetween workouts and my chest usually is worked out along side of my back. So not much of a problem like as if I were doing tricep/chest instead. Lend me a hand bro's. I wanna get my bench up a little higher before I start my cycle next month.
    What does your split look like? Do u do chest 1st each week?

    I don't hit the gym sat. or sun., those are my days to do what I want...so when I get in the gym on mon. I can really focus on that muscle group. I had problems with my chest for a long time, so I placed that workout on monday. I think if u want to get your chest and delts up more than allow them a day alone. Also don't stay at lower reps all the time, mix it up some. Try some higher reps(10-12), add some supersets sometimes, the key is to shock the muscle each week...it was stated in the other post, change things up some. Try starting with upper chest one wk., then flat bench the next. Throw in db flyes...they work great for me.

    I to have worked out w/o a spotter...makes me fill like I can't push myself to the max...it really suxs sometimes.

  5. #5
    xxxl83 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    long island new york
    Posts
    1,355
    OK wow alot of misinformation here.

    First of all you need to set your goals. Is increasing your bench really a priority? Or is muscle mass more important at this stage of your training.

    Now if upping your bench is that important for you there are a few things you need to realize.

    1. Contrary to popular opinion. Your chest play's a very small role in bench pressing. The pec's major function is as an adductor of the shoulder joint. Not pressing.

    So DB flies or cable crossovers will do close to nothing to help your bench. (Find me one good powerlifter who uses them for their bench work)

    2. If a one rep max is important you need to train with singles (ME= max effort). Endurance work will actualy hurt your max bench.

    3. You want a strong bench you need strong tri's. Try tate presses or JM presses. (check the powerlifting forum).

    4. Learn to work on your bar speed. You need to train for speed work or DE (dynamic effort).

    There is alot to explain for these principles so it would be best if you research the powerlifting forum. Also check out and read the articles at www.elitefts.com.

    xxxl83

  6. #6
    Calipso's Avatar
    Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Freakville, MA
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxl83
    OK wow alot of misinformation here.

    First of all you need to set your goals. Is increasing your bench really a priority? Or is muscle mass more important at this stage of your training.

    Now if upping your bench is that important for you there are a few things you need to realize.

    1. Contrary to popular opinion. Your chest play's a very small role in bench pressing. The pec's major function is as an adductor of the shoulder joint. Not pressing.

    So DB flies or cable crossovers will do close to nothing to help your bench. (Find me one good powerlifter who uses them for their bench work)

    2. If a one rep max is important you need to train with singles (ME= max effort). Endurance work will actualy hurt your max bench.

    3. You want a strong bench you need strong tri's. Try tate presses or JM presses. (check the powerlifting forum).

    4. Learn to work on your bar speed. You need to train for speed work or DE (dynamic effort).

    There is alot to explain for these principles so it would be best if you research the powerlifting forum. Also check out and read the articles at www.elitefts.com.

    xxxl83
    Thanks guys and XXXL83 I'm checking that link out right now.

  7. #7
    solidj55 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    Like XXX said if you are after big poundages in bench then you need train like a powerlifter. You dont have to train exactly like he is suggesting with the Westside style but you will need to at least train like the old school powerlifters. But if your after developement of the chest muscle then I have a few other suggestions. First off, since you lift alone, I would suggest dumbell incline presses and dips and maybe flat dumbell fly.

  8. #8
    hoss827's Avatar
    hoss827 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace..
    Posts
    1,330
    Dang bro thats rough, same with me. Stuck on the chest, and whats worse is i have a bad shoulder holding me back. It came outta place on my incline warmup! What I would suggest is changing your routine for awhile, and maybe use dumbells instead of barbells for awhile.

  9. #9
    Ironweb's Avatar
    Ironweb is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    567
    I have switched from doing BB to DB then back and have noticed a difference in my bench. I could push the weight 2 or 3 times more. That advise came from my own sweat not a statistic. I am not a power lifter, just a dude looking to break his next plateau. I have found that switching between the two is beneficial to my routine. That is what it is about. Finding out what your body is telling you and how you can push it further. Try different things until you find what works best for you.

  10. #10
    Calipso's Avatar
    Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Freakville, MA
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironweb
    I have switched from doing BB to DB then back and have noticed a difference in my bench. I could push the weight 2 or 3 times more. That advise came from my own sweat not a statistic. I am not a power lifter, just a dude looking to break his next plateau. I have found that switching between the two is beneficial to my routine. That is what it is about. Finding out what your body is telling you and how you can push it further. Try different things until you find what works best for you.
    I'll try using DB's for a bit.

    http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_115b600.html

    I've been trying this guy's tips but it's the same basics as everyone else knows.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •