Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37

    am i over training?

    alright i stopped and took a quick look at my routine and i think i may be over training alittle.
    chest 18 sets 5 exersizes
    back 16 sets + 50 pull ups- 5 exersizes not in cludeing the pull ups
    legs 12 sets 3 exersizes
    shoulders 18 sets 5 exeriszes
    tri 16 or 17 sets 4 or 5 exersizes
    bi 19 or 20 5 exersizes
    traps 16 sets 4 exersizes
    neck 20 sets (mon&wed) 5 exersizes fri is only 12 with 3 exersizes
    every thing gets worked once a week monday-back, tuesday tri/legs (2 exersizes of traps 8 sets), wed/off, thursday shoulders/bi, friday chest traps (3 exersizes of back sets)
    so really traps and back are getting worked twice a week but not as intense on the day were there thrown in at the end. o yea i work my neck 3 days a week mon/wed/fri. mon and wed are 5 exersize days fri is a 3 exersize day. i am trying to put on mass. also is it possible to put on size if i switch up to doing alittle more higher reps like 6,8,10,8? becuase i have been doin 4,6,6,4 and this is takin a huge toll on my shoulders. please help with this. im not takin any suppliments other then methoxy and protein.

  2. #2
    znak's Avatar
    znak is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Back in from the Cold
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1500
    alright i stopped and took a quick look at my routine and i think i may be over training alittle.
    chest 18 sets 5 exersizes
    back 16 sets + 50 pull ups- 5 exersizes not in cludeing the pull ups
    legs 12 sets 3 exersizes
    shoulders 18 sets 5 exeriszes
    tri 16 or 17 sets 4 or 5 exersizes
    bi 19 or 20 5 exersizes
    traps 16 sets 4 exersizes
    neck 20 sets (mon&wed) 5 exersizes fri is only 12 with 3 exersizes
    every thing gets worked once a week monday-back, tuesday tri/legs (2 exersizes of traps 8 sets), wed/off, thursday shoulders/bi, friday chest traps (3 exersizes of back sets)
    so really traps and back are getting worked twice a week but not as intense on the day were there thrown in at the end. o yea i work my neck 3 days a week mon/wed/fri. mon and wed are 5 exersize days fri is a 3 exersize day. i am trying to put on mass. also is it possible to put on size if i switch up to doing alittle more higher reps like 6,8,10,8? becuase i have been doin 4,6,6,4 and this is takin a huge toll on my shoulders. please help with this. im not takin any suppliments other then methoxy and protein.
    18 sets on your chest??? 5 exercises??? Is this 18 times five? If I did 18 working sets on my chest, I would start with 300 pounds and have about 100 pounds on the bar at the end. If you want to put on weight go back to the basics.

    Bench:
    Warm up (50%) 10x
    warm up (60%) 10x
    working (70%) 8x
    working (80%) 6x
    working (90%) 4x?
    working (90%) 4x?

    Do the same for weighted pull ups, weighted dips, squats, dead lift, seated military press.

    Three exercises a day, four times a week. Takes 45 minutes to an hour. With a good diet you WILL gain weight. If you have not broken a sweat by the second working set, you are slacking, put more weight on the bar.

    This will put on meat. Keep it simple.

  3. #3
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    my bad i made it unclear. its not 18 sets per exersize it 18 per body part and veries for other body parts. most exersizes get 4 sets. then some get dropped to 3. well then how many exersizes should i do for back/chest/shoulders/tri/bi/neck/legs/traps.

  4. #4
    Testify's Avatar
    Testify is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Asshole Capitol
    Posts
    1,065
    Yes. My God, how long does it take you to do all that?

    Simple rule-of-thumb formula:

    4 exercises x 3 or 4 sets for large muscle groups


    3 exercises x 3 or 4 sets for small ones.

    If you are on an AAS cycle, you could add another exercise and do 4 or 5 sets for the big groups & maybe add an extra set to the smaller ones.

    That should be more than enough volume to completely exhaust all your muscle fibers and stimulate growth.

    T

  5. #5
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    it takes about 2 hours when i lift for 2 muscles per day and alittle over a hour for when i lift 1 muscle a day.

  6. #6
    BIG BRUJO's Avatar
    BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    97
    ya i would say your overtraining, ill agree with testify and nzakon reps and sets,, keep it simple im not big on hitting the same muscle twice a week but everyone is different try once a week

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    779
    You are doing way to many sets bro. you need to cut it down a shit load. If you want to add size then quit doina fuck ton of sets, do maybe 3-5 sets with heavy weight and strict repitions, eat right a lot of protein, your shoulders and joints will feel better, and you will get bigger, overtraining can be almost as detrimental as not training at all.


    Whatcha gonna do brother.......

  8. #8
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    You should only train for 45 min. tops.AS or no AS.Yes you are overtraining!!! DB

  9. #9
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    thanks guys...any way i could cut it down tho? 2 body parts in 45 min seems like a long shot

  10. #10
    ripsid's Avatar
    ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Jersey and HATING I
    Posts
    1,844
    Prostreet! Bro, personally I don't believe you're overtraining, infact what you're doing is what I try to do every day! 20 to 25 or more reps! I believe 1000% in destroying my body so that when it repairs it will be stronger and bigger! If you're working out 7 days aweek or doing 1 body part 3 times a week or so, then I'd say sure you're overtraining. My chest workout will be like so (not using w/ups in the counting)
    flat db press 70/80/90/100/100
    db fly 40/50/60/70/80
    db incline 50/60/70/80/90
    db fly 30/40/50/60/70
    decline 70/80/90/100/100
    cables 5 sets
    pec dec (usually inbetween inclines because it loosens up my shoulders and I have bad shoulders)
    db pull over 3-5 sets

    This is my question to you do you want to leave it in the gym or take it home with you so you can sit in the mirror and say ???you know I could have???
    Everyone's different bro and everyone has there theory and everybody's body's react differently and grow differently! If you want to mix it up tons of reps for a month not for a nother and go back and forth I'm sure that would work also, but I like to kill it! Plain and simple!
    Good Luck!

    SID

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    779
    the recent research supports the idea of less is more, when it comes to sets and reps, I still believe that you can leave it all in the gym w/o doing all those sets and reps, with diet and cardio you can get just as ripped with fewer sets and reps as if you were to do all those sets...........this topic will be forever debatable so take it as you want.

    Whatcha gonna do brother..........

  12. #12
    ripsid's Avatar
    ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Jersey and HATING I
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    the recent research supports the idea of less is more, when it comes to sets and reps, I still believe that you can leave it all in the gym w/o doing all those sets and reps, with diet and cardio you can get just as ripped with fewer sets and reps as if you were to do all those sets...........this topic will be forever debatable so take it as you want.

    Whatcha gonna do brother..........
    Not hijacking but it depends on your goals! I want to be 200 + (I'm 188) and I'm eating tons everyday... I'll get my abs in the spring so right now I'm killing it.

    SID

  13. #13
    Fooboy's Avatar
    Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    232
    i don't know too much and am not an expert. but it seems like that is quite a bit of work on ur body. so yes, i think you are over training a bit. and i love hondas

  14. #14
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    thanks for all the info guys. should i just stick to compoud movements for my exersizes since im tryin to put on mass? lol i have no prob with hondas untill they pull up next to me thinkin that they have a chance. they look cool im my rearview 2

  15. #15
    ripsid's Avatar
    ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Jersey and HATING I
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by prostreet1500
    thanks for all the info guys. should i just stick to compoud movements for my exersizes since im tryin to put on mass? lol i have no prob with hondas untill they pull up next to me thinkin that they have a chance. they look cool im my rearview 2
    As far as Honda's well you'll never see me try to race you in my 90 accord, because for 1 I'm not an idiot!
    Your core movements should be base of your excersizes, but you also need to add in your alternate movements for a complete build up.
    I try to keep cores at the base and then break off to other excersizes.

    SID

  16. #16
    prostreet1500's Avatar
    prostreet1500 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    nothing wrong with alittle bit of organized street racing...only people who are at risk of getting hurt are the 2 people running

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •