ixip is offline New Member

My chest won't grow!

I have been training hard for about 3 years now.
    Almost everything is growing on me except my chest.
    I have tryed allmost everything, starting the workout with flyes and then go on to benchpress, dumbellpress and so on, 3-12 reps...
    I'm stretching my chest after every set.
    Tryed pullovers and so on...
    Anyone have the same problems!?
    Any solution.

/Ixip

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Try using weights on the bars.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ixip
    I have been training hard for about 3 years now.
    Almost everything is growing on me except my chest.
    I have tryed allmost everything, starting the workout with flyes and then go on to benchpress, dumbellpress and so on, 3-12 reps...
    I'm stretching my chest after every set.
    Tryed pullovers and so on...
    Anyone have the same problems!?
    Any solution.

/Ixip
    drop the 12 rep scheme and go heavy
    bodybuilding fitness forums hype muscle bodybuilders
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 08-08-2009 at 11:36 AM.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I hope you're doing a couple warm-up sets before your actual working sets. You should warm up for like 2 sets of 7 (you really have to determine what works best for you with experience (if you're not already doing warm up sets)).

You should probably also start with the benchpress or the dumbell press before doing the fly.

The rep range you're using is way too much. The range should be much closer. If you're doing three reps, most people can't grow at that range. Most people need to do between 6 and 10 reps in order to grow. I like to make sure I can push the weight at least 10 times with perfect form before moving up in weight. I only move up 10 lbs at a time, so when I add the 10 lbs, I can normally lift that about 6 or 7 reps my first time. Anything less than 6 reps and I drop the weight.

As a general rule, every time you workout, you should be able to either do more reps with the same weight (even if it's only one rep), or be able to push more weight. If you can't do that, then you're doing something wrong. The only exception is if you are working on doing it with better form (that shouldn't be the case, because you should be maintaining good form all of the time anyway).

As you grow stronger, you will grow in size.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    As a general rule, every time you workout, you should be able to either do more reps with the same weight (even if it's only one rep), or be able to push more weight. If you can't do that, then you're doing something wrong. The only exception is if you are working on doing it with better form (that shouldn't be the case, because you should be maintaining good form all of the time anyway).

As you grow stronger, you will grow in size.
    True that. Don't forget time as a variable. I think it is often overlooked. If you can push the same weight for the same reps but it takes you significantly longer to do so - you have not gained. In contrast, if you do it in less time - you made progress even without using a heavier load.

When training for size - keep an eye on the clock to keep rest intervals no longer than 60-90 seconds in between sets. You want to hit it again before the mucle group fully recovers to pulverize it's energy stores. Strength training uses rest intervals over 2 minutes to allow for recovery.

Have you tried the 10X10 approach, German Volume Training? 10 sets, 10 reps, 60-90 second rest intervals using about 60 percent of yuor 1RM.

I have been doing another theory that uses 1 rep for five sets and then you drop about 20 pounds and do 5 reps for 5 sets (I am prioritzing more for quality strength right now in my chest though...). So far it's been very effective. The first single or two are the hardest - then everything magically gets easier (probably from an adrenelin effect similar to GVT).

znak is offline Senior Member
    IXIP- If you read this thread and do it, you will get results. Three years and no growth suggests that your diet also needs work.

During bulking cycles, I do 6 x 10 (similar to German Volume training) AND keep a close eye on the clock. The second my partner is done, I am on the bench. It is very intense. I often feel like puking after the second exercise and have to back off a tad, but really try to keep the intensity.

Make sure you are eating at least a gram of protein (some say up to two...) for each pound you weigh and get enough rest. My chest can't take more than one workout a week at 6x10 for three exercises.

Warrior much be doing something right if it gets easier for him as the sets go on doing singles, then going into set of five. This is also a really good way to shock your system into growth.

I also totally agree with DBartelo. Bench is your building exercise, do it when you are completely fresh. Flys are one exercise where you really don't want to max out... there is a high chance for injury, you should do them last to do the final tuning/fatiqueing of the group.

Thread Information