mfenske is offline Member

Do lifing straps help a lot?

Just like the title says. I am considering getting to the point where I am considering getting a set of lifing straps because my grip on some exercises is limiting the number of reps I can do. What ones do you all recommend? Thanks all. Mark

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Yes, they help. What lifts are you struggling on ?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Yeah bro they help me especially when i like to go heavy on dumbell shrugs....but i would suggest not to use them to much....try to get your grip strength up...just my .02

mfenske is offline Member
    The two main lifts that I have had a little trouble with grip strength on have been deadlifts and barbell shrugs. I am still not sure if I want to use them because so far I haven't and my forearms have gotten bigger, stronger, and more vascular because of it. If it sounds like I am being overly anal retentive it's because I tend to do a lot of homework before I make a decision. Hell, it took me like 4 months of serious digging to convince myself that whey protein would be okay. Now, I think I'm addicted to the stuff. BTW KeyMastur, thanks for the help and quick reply. Mark

znak is offline Senior Member
    I used them for deadlift and weighted pull ups, otherwise the limiting factor is my grip, which is pretty good (I can close a #3) but when I am sweating and trying to get the 10th rep with 120 lbs hanging near my dick, I would rather concentrate on my lats rather than my hands.

Deadlifts, same story. Why worry about your grip, when you have a ton of weight on the bar and should be thinking about form.

I also use them for dumbell rows. Can put more weight on and use better form and better ROM on the last reps if my hands are not the limiting factor.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    I used them for deadlift and weighted pull ups, otherwise the limiting factor is my grip, which is pretty good (I can close a #3) but when I am sweating and trying to get the 10th rep with 120 lbs hanging near my dick, I would rather concentrate on my lats rather than my hands.

Deadlifts, same story. Why worry about your grip, when you have a ton of weight on the bar and should be thinking about form.

I also use them for dumbell rows. Can put more weight on and use better form and better ROM on the last reps if my hands are not the limiting factor.

Correction: I can close (and work with) a #2... my hands don't reach the ground yet.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Definitely worth giving them a shot. I use straps every once in a while, on a heavy day, for shrugs and rows...

I wouldn't use them all the time, as you'll start relying on them, and your grip/forearms won't keep up with the rest of your body...but they definitely help to bust past a plateau and really destroy a muscle group on heavy days!

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Straps are a must have for heavier weight....You cant truly exhaust your primary muscles with deadlifts/shrugs/etc...without using them due to your grip failing before your primary muscle.

sharky is offline Associate Member
    any that are made well but use them sparingly or only on heave shruggs etc. because you will also lose much grip strength by using them to much.

Thread Information