Thread: Bench ??

Taxi is offline New Member

Bench ??

Does anyone out there have a bench workout that they feel is very good. I'd perfer to keep the reps low if possiable. I'm not pleased with the workout i'm on right now. Thanks guys

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Are you asking for a chest workout?? Because as far as my bench routine is.

I currently hit Incline for 2 warm-up sets of 12-15 reps followed by 4 set of 6-8 reps. Slow and controled on both the way down and up. While flexing the hell out of them at the top.

clipper is offline Associate Member
    I do 4 sets of flat, incline and cabel. with a rep range of 2 sets of 9 and 2 sets of 6. Then I finish with 3 sets of incline flys and press with the same weight with out stopping between the flys and the press. I do 10 reps for those. Works great for me.

Swellin Guest
    Hey Taxi, did you get it?

I have been doing this technique that I read about called the "glass technique" what you do is after the bar or your pecs are at a full stretch, when you are getting into flexion of the movement try and force your delts down to your lats and squeeze the hell out of your pecs, it works very well when executed right, it makes pushups feel a lot more beneficial.

AMsupafly is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi
    Does anyone out there have a bench workout that they feel is very good. I'd perfer to keep the reps low if possiable. I'm not pleased with the workout i'm on right now. Thanks guys
    If you want a bench routine with low reps, how about trying a 5x5? For bench, you would select a weight you can press for 8 reps and then do 5 sets with 5 reps per set. If you were able to acheive all 5 reps for all 5 sets, increase your weight the next week. This gives you a goal to work towards because you cannot move up in weight until you are able to complete all 5 reps for all 5 sets at a given weight. I have been using this powerlifting routine for bench and other power movements and I have had good results.

Yeah, i got it swellin, thank bro, i'll give it a shot

Swellin Guest
    I tried that one once before, and on week 5, I tore my pec (it was due to working my ego one night, instead of my muscle).:embarrass

Quote Originally Posted by swellin
    I tried that one once before, and on week 5, I tore my pec (it was due to working my ego one night, instead of my muscle).:embarrass

Ouch, that sucks man. How are you doin now? I looked it over and i agree, pretty intense, but it shouldn't be a problem at all. Hopefully I have better luck than you did, once again thanks

Swellin Guest
    My pecs are kicking again! That night I tore my right pec, I reinjured my shoulder when the weight came down (I only use dumbells for inclines now). After several months of physical therapy, I ended up with a little surgery on the shoulder. I took almost a year off from the gym, and the pec is great. I have been back in the gym for several months now, but I have been blasting it for the last 2.5 months. All is well. I am on my second week of that program right now, and it is whipping me. You absolutely have to use a spotter for the last two sets, and force some reps.

You should get good results.

are you wanting to blow up your chest or increase your bench?

Whatcha gonna do

Quote Originally Posted by swellin
    Ouch, I'm really sorr bro. What exactly were you doing when your tore your pec? Powerlifting? What was your tempo? Too fast?

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AMsupafly
    Ouch, I'm really sorr bro. What exactly were you doing when your tore your pec? Powerlifting? What was your tempo? Too fast?
    Actually, I had jsut finished working flat bench with a guy that is substantially stronger than me (he is the King around here, and I let my ego push me). After that, I went to inclines. On incline, I take a wide grip and lower the weight slowly...stopping on my chest. I make an intial move upward, and then blast it to the top. This time, it tore on the way down (with only about 70% of my incline max). I was over training big time. My ego pushed the weight, and I did not listen to my body...over training is worse than not training.

I am glad you had a good recovery, although it did take a substantial amount of time. I don't know if I could stop lifting for a year, I think I would go crazy At least you have muscle memory on your side. Good luck.

Thread Information