biggnik56 is offline Associate Member

Question si there such a thing as too much cardio???

if i did one hour of cardio first thing in the morning, lifted had a protien shake, and then did more cardio, like 3o minutes. would that be overkill????

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Plane and simple yes. You will be putting your body into a catabolic state.

what's catabolic, that's where u loose muscle...?

cb25 is offline Banned
    you said it...catabolism is the breakdown of body tissues - it refers to fat as well as muscle tissue. Shredz is right - too much cardio at once.

what if i did one in morning and another in the evening/after noon?

cb25 is offline Banned
    my personal opinion is that you can get away with it as long as you stay well-fed throughout the day without too much muscle catabolism. That being said, if you jump right into this program going from much less you seriously run the risk of overtraining, or at the least burning out quickly. I would work up to such a high load. Sort of a "you have to walk before you can run" philosophy.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    So what if you have produced a state of perfect nitro retension in your body and had a perfect balance of cals and nutrients and had a great cycle going on.
    Could you then avoid the cata of muscle.??

cb25 is offline Banned
    Yea, it seems to me that AAS are remarkably anti-catabolic...that's our basic assumption, isn't it?? So if you were doing a cycle and had the perfect balance of cals, etc etc - you could avoid muscle catabolism...

If you're not cycling, then I would think it would be damn near impossible to do that much cardio (from his first post) in one session and not start breaking down muscle.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnik56
    if i did one hour of cardio first thing in the morning, lifted had a protien shake, and then did more cardio, like 3o minutes. would that be overkill????
    Depends on what you're trying to do. Technically, you're doing too much cardio if you get dehydrated, your body doesn't have enough energy to get through the workout. If you think about it, a marathon runner is doing nothing but cardio and they can keep going all day long.

If you're on the chunky side and are looking to cut body fat, then you're not doing too much cardio.

Doing cardio in the morning is good, because you don't have a lot of food sitting in your stomach. Weigh yourself in the morning, the afternoon and again at night using the same scale. Most people are their lightest right after they use the bathroom in the a.m. (you can lose a pound from urinating in the morning). Likewise, most people are their heaviest at night, just before bed. Because of this, doing cardio in the a.m. is good, because there is less in your stomach that can be converted to glycogen, but at the same time, you should be eating some carbs in the morning before you do cardio.

Combining it the way you are will really burn fat all day long. This is why I say if you're on the chunky side, this is good. My only thing is the protein shake. The protein shake is okay and will help decrease the amount of muscle loss, but I would say doing as little as drinking Gatorade will provide your body with enough carbs to fuel your cardio work. Much like your muscles building after you work out, you tend to burn more fat after your cardio than you do while actually do it. So, I would say, just sip on some gatorade while you're doing your cardio, while you're working out and after you have your protein.

Another note, you should probably take half an hour to rest before having your protein and then giving yourself another half hour to rest after the protein shake before doing the cardio again.

MrPerfect is offline Junior Member
    What if you only have the time to do cardio in the evening, due to my schedule i go to the gym around 3 then i do cardio after dinner usually around 9 because i give time for the food to settle...the question is if i do this will i be in a catabolic state the whole night? is this a counter productive practice...i am trying to cut bf

Thread Information