punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member

Shins full of Sh!t

I was just wondering if anybody knows how to cure some pretty bad shin splints. Im currently on a cycle and have gained about 13lbs. I took a little time off of running(two weeks). Now im trying to start jogging again to maintain my cardiovascular health but my shins keep getting a huge pump in them and hurt like all hell. Does anyone know how to cure them besides rest? I know some exercises to do and Icing them is supposed to be good. could i just pop mad Ibuprofin before i run? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    PBB

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would mix up walking and running. Run until the shins act up, walk it off at a good pace and then repeat.

Farmer is offline Member
    Ditto on the above answer...also one thing I have tried and seems to work pretty well is not "pushing off" so much. I feel that If I concentrate on not pushing off as much on the treadmill I don't get the pump and my shins feel fine...as I am looking back over your post I have no idea if you are referring to running on a treadmill or not..hopefully someone can get some info from this...

Peace

Farmer

cb25 is offline Banned
    in my experience there is no cure for shin splints except rest. I had a really bad case from basketball and the only thing that helped (on the advice of my dr.) was taking a couple weeks off. If you're just doing cardio, try using the elliptical machine - much lower impact - see how that feels.

Ibuprofen should help with soreness, but i wouldn't recommend taking it just to get through a workout. Take it afterwards to deal with soreness, but if something hurts, your body is telling you to stop.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Hey, PunkBB, i had to run the 200 relay with shin splints once, and i did indeed think i was gonna die, those things are a bitch. The only thing that would help me is tons of ibuprofen, and ice. LOTS OF ICE. it really does wonders. Stretching only goes so far, but ice will numb it, and reduce swelling. So icing before and after works well, and ibuprofen can help you get through the workout, but don't crutch on it. Having your arch taped helps in some cases too. You could be flatfooted, you might wanna get that checked out, because it increases shin splints exponentially.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for all of your info. Im not running on a treadmill, they are having us run on concrete which is total B.S. Ill work on the icing and doing some exercises. I think a big problem is that my shoes are just too old. They are getting pretty beat. Thanks again
    PBB

OTC
    OTC is offline Junior Member
    I too get bad shin splints being active in 3 sports. I have found an exercise that really helps, for me and buddy atleast. Standing upright, holding onto a wall or door way, lift the front of your foot, one foot at a time (think of it as tapping your foot, just exaggerated). Do as many reps as you can, then do the next foot after you have a good burn, usually in the front of your shin. I have found doing this 4-5 times a day really conditions and strengthens those muscles that become irritated. Try it, it may or may not work for you, but its easy enough to atleast try it.
    -OTC

rambo is offline The Lord God
    That's a common exercise too that most trainers recommend, I've seen other athletes do that to good results (or so they say).

Thread Information