hoss827 is offline Banned

Dislocates Shoulder, still okay to use biceps??

Had my shoulder dislocated a week or two ago, wondering if i can still do bicep curls sin your supposed to keep your elbows locked at your sides. Arm feels good now, but the doc insists it isnt healed up and doesnt want me doing any real "heavy" lifting. Just wondering if i can still do biceps or not...

cb25 is offline Banned
    I'd personally stay away from it. It's too easy to cheat (even if you're trying to hold as tight as possible) or even just to involve the delts a little when doing curls, etc. With a dislocated shoulder and due to the way the biceps attach near the delts (i think), i would think too much rotating forward, etc could cause some uneccesary stress to the area...

someone jump in if you've got a better understanding of the anatomy or kinesiology of the area...but my feeling is to take it easy

recover soon bro!

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I agree. I would stay away from all upper body work for a while. The thing about a shoulder dislocating is that it's not really a cartlidge problem like with other jounts, it's more of a muscle problem. Joints in your body are held together with cartlidge and tendons. The shoulder ball doesn't fit INTO the joint, it sits on top of the joint and small muscles hold it in place. You really can't do much of any movement without incorporating shoulder muscles to some extent. You have to wait for the little muscles to heal, and as we all know, a muscle can't heal if it's being used. When you go back to working out again, you should start off very light, or you will re-injur the shoulder.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I agree. I would stay away from all upper body work for a while. The thing about a shoulder dislocating is that it's not really a cartlidge problem like with other jounts, it's more of a muscle problem. Joints in your body are held together with cartlidge and tendons. The shoulder ball doesn't fit INTO the joint, it sits on top of the joint and small muscles hold it in place. You really can't do much of any movement without incorporating shoulder muscles to some extent. You have to wait for the little muscles to heal, and as we all know, a muscle can't heal if it's being used. When you go back to working out again, you should start off very light, or you will re-injur the shoulder.
    agreed...well said.

Its mainly the ligaments that I tore...I hate it so much. I see the doctor again on Monday and I'll find out whats wrong then.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Make this a time to balst the legs bro.. I had an elbow injury about 6 months back. It was shitty becasue I couldn't work upper body, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise as I had a chance to really put some development on my hams and calves.

Yeah bro, I've put alotta work into my legs lately. I also set my schools legpressing record...Old: 550. New: 1000.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Well done hoss...always nice to set records - keep at it and make the new record unreachable for anybody else!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Yeah bro, I've put alotta work into my legs lately. I also set my schools legpressing record...Old: 550. New: 1000.
    congrats

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Time to work on breaking your record then.................no do not work bi's, in fact wait until you've had the doc look at it. Be safe. Congrats on the record ...........now see if you can top it.

I can work the upper body again, they said the shoulders fine but I shouldn't use heavy weight for incline until the ligaments are stronger. But hell yeah i'm happy about my record!!!

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Congrads. Just take it easy and you shouldn't go too heavy with any movement, the incline bench press is just a movement that is more likely to cause a problem. Take it easy and you'll be back to normal in no time.

Thread Information