FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member

Proper Squat Form??

hey bros, got a squat question for ya'll. During football we were doing squats all the time, but the coach made as keep most our weight on the ankle, and press with the ankle. This seems logical to me, however, i can't go down all the way doing this. After looking through mags, and arnolds book, they are putting the weight on the toes, or balls of the feet and pushing up like that. Hell, i've even seen them with blocks under their ankles. Have i been doing them wrong, or was i correct by keeping my knees from going past my toes????

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    IMO- drive with your heals and never with he toes, usiig the blocks is not a good idea IMO. If you can not go as deep than you need to work with a lighter weight and also work on corrective stretching of the legs.
    Dont relate to a picture that is 30+ years old for the right form.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

its not that the weight is too heavy, its that the size of my legs, won't really let me go that far. And i was blowing off the 30 year old picture, but i have seen pics with jay cutler doing the exact thing.

just telling the same thing as you coach but do what jay does if it gets you through you workout??
    abstrack@protonmail.com

not trying to argue in any way, i just want to do it correctly to better prevent any future injuries. I will do it the way i have done it until i hear otherwise.

Me either bro, I was just tought this way by the NASM and the IFPA and I have tought that form to all my clients. I dont know what else I could tell you other than what I have already have.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Are you using the Smith machine, or squatting by yourself? For me I prefer the Smith machine because its safer, if thats what your using I just learned proper form yesterday, and what a difference it made!!! Get the bar over your traps where they feel most comfortable, put your feet further in front of you, spread about shoulder width apart, and as you go down push your butt out and go all the way down, pushing up with your heels. Never push up on your toes. That puts strain on your back and joints. I woke up this morning and my legs were killing me, but I loved it because I knew i was doing proper form. Good luck bro

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I always drive thru my heels....seems like using to much of the ball of the ft. or toes would allow u to become unbalanced....I have never used blocks and never will....I like my feet flat on the floor. Are u having this trouble with squats becauce your thighs are to large, not elastic enough, or had an injury that prevents u from squating lower?

mainly size. but i'll keep doing them like i am, pushing with heels. I've always felt it work better, just double checking. thanks bros.

I also drive through my heels make a straight line perpindicular to the ground that would go through your head, waist, and heels. Slow motion down and up stoping just before lockout.

Thread Information