Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member

Leg problem... Sore joints. Need Advice:

Hey Bro's,

Here is the deal. One of the reason I have always had chicken legs, is that I have very sore knee joints when I try to lift heavy. This applies to ANY exercise, from squats to presses and everything in between.

I am having phenomenal results with the gear, but because of my *&^%$! knees, once again, my legs are falling behind. I have been trying to religiously follow the advice of Big'olelegs as far as the routine goes, but the pain is becoming unbearable. My legs still look much better than they did, and better than average, but they are NOT where they should be compared to my upper body.

I'm guessing it's either tendinitis, or I am just over powering my ectomorph joints with too much weight. I have had this problem since my early 20's. It is what made me give up college ball.

It has been suggested that I start stretching more often. I just started this the other day.

Is there anything else I can do besides dropping a bottle of pain killers before the leg workout? I am afraid I might be doing damage.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Be sure your knees do not ride out over your toes on any squating/ pressing movments. This will help to keep pressure off of your patela tendon which is a common cause of knee pain.

Also try and avoid leg extensions if you feel the need to incorperate them into your leg work stay light.

xxxl83

mass junkie is offline banned
    You sure your not trying to use too much weight?....use lesser weight for a while and see how that goes

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:29 PM.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Ok.. im here.. hehe trying doing the lightweight and do drop sets to achieve muscle fatigue.. that will keep the joints from hurting.. 245 is fine.. lets say you get 10 reps.. pull a plate off each side and get 10 more..

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Ok.. im here.. hehe trying doing the lightweight and do drop sets to achieve muscle fatigue.. that will keep the joints from hurting.. 245 is fine.. lets say you get 10 reps.. pull a plate off each side and get 10 more..
    For legs sets of twenty have their place. Warm up. Do four working sets of twenty at 245.

Watch your form -- knees over toes. Do not let your knee roll in or out. Both cause damage that will never go away.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Here's my advice. I blew out my right knee a few years ago, and it's never been the same, but I've been able to slowly get back up to strength.

1) Make sure you fully warm up before doing any leg exercises. I like to do 10-15 minutes to really get the blood flowing. Doesn't matter what type of cardio, my preference is for stationary bike - seems to really get my knees nice and warm.

2) Stretch after your warmup. Make sure you do a slow and controlled stretch for quads, hams and calves - hold for 30 seconds each (this was recommended by my physical therapist).

3) Do a couple light warmup sets before adding weight. Get used to the motion and really test out your form before piling on the weight. Make sure your knees don't roll in our out and make sure they don't drift forward over your toes.

4) My final recommendation, if all else fails - if it truly hurts on every exercise no matter the weight - take some time off. Take a few weeks to a full month (i know, i know...) to try and heal. i had to at one point in time - you'll come back stronger, trust me.

good luck bro...

Thanks Y'All,

More great advice!

Next leg day is Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Bumpin cb25 follow his advice. Biggest thing is to stretch and warm those chicken legs up I have too. Also some glucosamine and chondritin.

Quote Originally Posted by groverman1
    Bumpin cb25 follow his advice. Biggest thing is to stretch and warm those chicken legs up I have too. Also some glucosamine and chondritin.
    Cool. I did it.

The pain was not as bad today. I have been stretching every day for the last week. I stretched extra today, then rode the stationary bike for five minutes before getting on the squat rack. Still hurt, but I was able to keep good form.

I've been taking glucosamine and chondritin for months.

I'll keep taking the advice and see how things work. As small as my legs are, the LAST thing I want to do is have to take time off.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead007
    I'll keep taking the advice and see how things work. As small as my legs are, the LAST thing I want to do is have to take time off.
    i know the feeling bro...i hate taking time off, especially from legs. keep at it, and let us know how it goes...

cb25 is offline Banned
    oh yea...and don't forget you need to be honest with yourself about the pain. That's my biggest problem - i always try to rationalize it away as normal soreness or just something i have to work through. be honest with yourself and it starts getting worse again take time off if you have to...see a doc if you have to, you know?

Thread Information