BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member

Question How many sets of deads do you feel are enough for you?

i was curious about how many sets of deads you all feel are enough for you. I usually do 6 sets but was thinking about just cutting it down to four. I would like your thoughts and opinions.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I do four. Anymore and my lower back is too jello for bent overs and one handed corner barbell rows(or t-bar)

mass junkie is offline banned
    I can only do 3 sets............

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I keep it to no more then 4 working sets(not including warmup)...Recently, Ive gone back to the drawing board and I am trying to perfect my form and maintain a good curve(c curve is it?) so I have been doing more reps, more sets, with less weight....

thanks for replies, however, i do need more. Cutting my deads down to 4 is a mojor decision for me, and it is not one that is made lightly.

When i did deads yesterday i felt that i could stop there and be ok, but i think i have planted it in my head that i have to do atleast six. So i did. I was doing my deads along with all my other back exercises and was secure with this for a while, but when i really think about it, all my other back exercises are not that great because im too damn tired after doing deads. I was thinking if i cut my deads down to 4 sets i could atleast keep the bentover rows on that day and throw my other back exerxises to Thursday. Any thoughts on this?

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Big M, for me it depends on if I'm doing heavy sets (lower reps) or light sets (higher reps) as well as when I do them first or last (I don't do them in the middle of my routine).

For heavy I'll do 4 - 6 sets (15, 10, 8, 6, 4) for light I'll do 3 sets (adding ten pounds each set with 30 reps for each).

I'd say cut it back to four sets and see how it works for you BUT (if doing strength training) make sure to move the maximum you can by the last set. just my .02

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    With deadlifts, I always do them first in my back routine. I start out with 3-4 warm-up sets and than maove on to 4-5 HEAVY working sets usually in the rep range of 8,6,6,4.

I think im going to try 4 sets for a month and see how i do. thank for your help.

hybrid is offline Member
    I do 4 sets. More than that starts to kill my form. And I don't do them first, as my back needs to be warmed up nicely first.

BDTR is offline Retired
    4 sets including a light 135 warmup then 3 work sets till failure.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I always do deads last, so my back is pre exhausted. Then I go with four heavy sets, increasing the weight slightly with each set. After the last set I remove the weight as quickly as possible down to 135, and squeeze out as many more reps as I can(which isn't too many). After that I can't walk straight, and my back is sore for the next 3-4 days. I love deads.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    i go at least 4 heavy, not including a doin 225 for a warmup set of 15 to 20...

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I do anywhere from 4-8 depending on the percentage of 1 rep max and the number of reps per set. I rarely exceed 8 reps for deads on a working set and usually float between 70-90 % of 1rm.

Thread Information