tmeoe is offline Associate Member

Pain from deadlifts!?!

I haven't included deadlifts in my workout in a few months because everytime i do them i mess up my lower back somehow. I've doing the form right as far as i know, using a mixed grip and arching my back. Not sure what could be causing the pain, its not like a sore pain from hitting the muscle group, more like i'm pinching something.

I'd like to use them again as i believe it is a great all around exercise, just hoping i could get some advice!

BDTR is offline Retired
    Make sure when you intially lift the bar off the ground, you're using your legs as the driving force behind the lift. Imagine pushing your heals all the way through the floor when you lift, keep the back out of it until the bar is well off the ground, then incorperate the back when its needed. When people get injured deadlifting, its almost ALWAYS in the initial pull, with people trying to lift the bar soley with their lower back. Make sure to keep your head up, your back flat shooting straight up at an upward angle. Also when you left, keep the bar as close to your legs as possible, this will help keep your back from getting involved too early as well as keep you using the movement effectivly. Good luck and be safe, nothing has done to my body size wize that deadlifts have, i swear they packed on inches on everyone of my muscles.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with bdtr.........keep the bar as close as possible..........back when I use to do DL everyweek......I would have marks on my shins from the bar rubbing them raw......yea I don't do DL like I need to anymore ...........they do seem to add mass everywhere.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I have scars on my shins from deadlifting. Anything over 500 lbs makes my shins bleed from the bar ripping flesh off my legs. Bruised thighs too... i love it. People look at me like im insane with almost 14 plates on the bar and walking away with blood all over my legs, and me stumbling around covered in chalk barely able to stand.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I most certainly would not start with the bar as close to my shins as possible, that would be horrible. If you start with the bar so close, look at the position of your hips, then look at how much they move through the movement, it'll quite a bit, this is alot of wasted movement and it takes away from your leverage.

IF, the problem is your form and not something else, I would do 6-8 sets or so of speed DL singles or so every back workout until you feel the groove and it feels right, and I wouldn't move up in weight at all if you're feeling any pain. After this there are many routes to go depending if the pain goes away or not, but its a starting point.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I have scars on my shins from deadlifting. Anything over 500 lbs makes my shins bleed from the bar ripping flesh off my legs. Bruised thighs too... i love it. People look at me like im insane with almost 14 plates on the bar and walking away with blood all over my legs, and me stumbling around covered in chalk barely able to stand.
    U know for some reason I can picture u that way..............aren't u insane

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    one thing to add to bdtr's post is make sure with the initial pull to be tight, don't try to get a "jump start" by jerking the weight off the floor, it should be like a squeeze, and get your ass into it!

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    It is too easy to mess your back up on deadlifts. Good technique is superior to tons of weight.

wiky is offline Junior Member
    I found this mpg, is it the properly form? Anyway is not a bit fast?

Size: 768 KB (786.432 bytes)

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If you were concerned, I would check out Ronnie's video.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    BDTRs advice is EXACTLY how it should be done IMO

mass junkie is offline banned
    I love sld's......but are nearly impossible to do while on dbol ...

slobberknocker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Make sure when you intially lift the bar off the ground, you're using your legs as the driving force behind the lift. Imagine pushing your heals all the way through the floor when you lift, keep the back out of it until the bar is well off the ground, then incorperate the back when its needed. When people get injured deadlifting, its almost ALWAYS in the initial pull, with people trying to lift the bar soley with their lower back. Make sure to keep your head up, your back flat shooting straight up at an upward angle. Also when you left, keep the bar as close to your legs as possible, this will help keep your back from getting involved too early as well as keep you using the movement effectivly. Good luck and be safe, nothing has done to my body size wize that deadlifts have, i swear they packed on inches on everyone of my muscles.

I agree about the legs. Sink your ass a couple inches before you pull, it'll put more hamstrings into it.

I used to think the shin scrapes was good, until someone told me otherwise. If you look at the bar path, pulling straight against your shins isn't a straight line from the floor to lockout. It shouldn't touch your legs until it gets to your thighs.

Thread Information