Slugger is offline Junior Member

Treadmill or pavement/outdoor track?

When running 5 straight days a week what is better in terms of your knees and joints? Treadmill or pavement/outside track?

What is better for your lungs, you know getting you into good cardiovascular shape? Treadmill or pavement/outside track?

If I were to run on a treadmill year around could I still get into really good shape instead of running outside?

Let's assume I'm running to get into boxing shape.
    Last edited by Slugger; 12-07-2003 at 03:25 PM.

jixxer is offline New Member
    for your knees the best would be a "field" ie. football field, something with grass if available, it "gives better then the track and/or concrete. Used to run cross country so I've done it all and I've always preferred the dirt, just sucks ass if your running with a group as breathing down gallons of dust sucks ass...

I've always hated tread mills, to me it feels like they are doing the work and your not. For me outside is best, its easier to side track your mind from being "tired of running" with something like wow there is a hot ass chick in that car. =) just my 2 cents.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Obviously a track is going to give much more impact..joints take a harder beating. Either of the three are just as good for cardiovascular..it is the activity, not where you do it. I find it easier to breathe outside, as the air is fresh, and the openess is a bit easier to tolerate as opposed to a wall, a tv mixed the 'gym" smell in the cardio room. However once in a while I go through phases to keep things from being dull..inside/outside runs.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Track or treadmill, it makes no difference. What makes a difference is what kind of cardio you do. Personally, I do walking, it's low impact, better for sparing muscle,and gets the job done is 45min a day

RockWolf is offline New Member
    if you can get on one of those eliptical machines, they're a good way of warming up the whole body and there's no impact on the joints. It also allows you to reverse your motion without worrying about what's behind you or tripping. The more motion you have, the better prepared your body will be for back and forth motion in boxing. Also if you're going for boxing, the added arm motion can give you some punching stamina.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    i ran track and cross country also and i have run just about everywhere. If you are worried about your joints the best places to run are definately outside in the grass or a well beaten path. Try to avoid concrete and too much time on the treadmill (leads to shin splints and other pains). If you know where a rubberized track is then your definately in good luck. Rubberized tracks are becoming more and more popular and they are very easy on your legs and joints. The only thing that sucks about that is that you are running in circles the whole time. Good luck bro.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    forgot the other two questions--
    for your lungs--it really doesnt matter at all- inside and outside are about equal (unless you have the option to run in the mountains)
    and for better shape--treadmill and track are the same too

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I love the Eliptical trainer for cardio!

Thread Information