metzger66 is offline Associate Member

Arms hurt after back workout

Why does it feel like my arms neck and shoulders got more of a work out than my back? And on dead lifts do you just bring the bar from the ground to your waist?

Metz

cdog is offline Associate Member
    When you work your back your working all those muscles at the same time ...Now form has alot to do with this As well .For example if I want to go for width on my lats I want may outer lats to get the pump not my arms ..So I will use straps for all my back work .This will help you focus on your lats and your back thickness without worring about your arms or grip failing before your back does ...Now as far as deadlifts go straps wont help to much with your arms getting worked or your neck or your shoulders ...Deadlifts are just a huge mass builder working everything at once ..CDOG

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Might be from improper form...But you do use your arms for a secondary muscle group from working back, so that may be it. Just a guess.

cb25 is offline Banned
    You're definitely involving the arms when doing pulling motions (i.e. any back exercise, really) so being sore after them isn't all that weird...

i'd say focus less on the grip and really think about sqeezing your shoulder blades together (on your rowing motion, not deads). Try not to grip too tightly with your forearms, and really work that mind-muscle connection with your back...or try straps and see if that helps ya...

cjp85 is offline Member
    Yeah, I would try pulling your shoulder blades together in the back, but also try to relax the upper part of your trapz completely. Its kinda tricky cuz your using your trapezius to pull your shoulder blades together, but I just watch myself in the mirror to make sure I dont flex the upper part by my neck at all. It really helps.

microphobia is offline New Member
    your arms should not be that sore,if they are your using to much bicep in your movement,like cb25 said mind muscle connection.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Yeah, I noticed that once I improved my posture in all of my workouts, I got much better gains

Thread Information