Thread: squat form

cjp85 is offline Member

squat form

Anyone have any tips on correct form for squatting? Seems like I have really good leg strength right untill I hit bottom. And when I go down it seems like I naturally curve my back, kinda like Im sticking my ass out or something and it feels like Im gonna fall backward. I think my foot positioning is ok, Im just concerned that my shoulders arent remaining verticle to my heels through the rep. I tried some smith machine squats last night, but doesnt seem to help too much. Should I just go really light till I develop better stability? I have been neglecting squats lately, and I really need to get them back into my routine. Any tips will really help.

microphobia is offline New Member
    It sounds like your form isnt that bad if you feel like your going to fall backwards then thats ok it means your not falling forward, when you get close to the bottom you will have to lean forward just eniugh not to go backwards
    and yes ass out chest out head up, if its hard when you get to the bottom stay light enough not to break that form and you will get stronger.
    ypu are going parrallel right?

cjp85 is offline Member
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, Im going as parallel as I can. Im trying to work on going down lower by using the hack-squat machine for safety, it seems to be working. So when Im done with a set of squats, should my lower back be sore at all? Cause it feels like it is being worked and I dont want an injury. I think I just need to go pretty light with textbook form till I can go heavier. Glad to know Im not doing too bad

Ya your lower back should feel tight not sore, and real good idea on hacks ive had guys/girls have to do the same thing before.

you using a belt? not the 2" in front 4" inch in back
    get a 4" power belt if you dont have one

cjp85 is offline Member
    Oh, and another thing, should I be flexing my abs throughout the exercise? It feels like it really improve the core stability. I think Ill look into getting a belt. Thanx bro

YES YES exactly right strong abs = strong back stay tight through the entire motion, when you take your breath in pull it in your belly not your chest it will keep your core even tighter.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Hey thanks a lot bro, I really appreciate the help. Cant wait till next leg day.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I went as deep as the following pic for a set of 10 and then 6(going for 8 but failed miserably) and my quads were sore for a whole week....

From this site...http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/BadGood.htm

"A 'parallel squat' is where the hip joint is in line with the knee joint."

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Use a box and that'll fix your problem. Most people don't sit back when they squat, and it'll make sure you get proper depth on each rep.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    not that you are but dont use a belt! Weight belts are a fashion statement
    abstrack@protonmail.com

slobberknocker is offline Associate Member
    It's hard to tell without seeing a video, but I think it sounds like a weak core. More ab/lower back work. And I agree, do not use a belt. That will only make your core weaker.

Thread Information