jdog55 is offline Associate Member

Machine vs free weights

I know free weights are always going to be superier to machines but how much superier are they to machines? Is it night and day or are free weights just a little better. I've always been a fan of my free weights but for a few months all i'm going to have access to are machines. What do free weight do for you that machines can't do hands down?

Jdog55

Icarus is offline New Member
    To be honest, I get much better chest results using a machine. But I dont rely on them

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    Machines dont allow the weight to rock and tip and move unevenly and as a result you don't use stabilizing muscles like you do free weights. Another thing is alot of times machines take away your intensity because they for example stay heavy at the top of a fly, which in theory would make for a better workout, but in the real world machine flys do not produce the kind of results DB flys do, for some reason. This is true of alot of machined exercises. You'll e alright though, better then nothing, the only problem is it will be like doing all iso work... eek!

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i avoid machines like the plague! stick to free weights, let the little guys play with the machines

Ok, What is better. Free weights with bad form or machines with forced form?

Jdog55

murph is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog55
    Ok, What is better. Free weights with bad form or machines with forced form?

Jdog55
    ..lol....im not laughing at you ,.. it just the way its worded there,.... i would think bad form will result in injury so in that example you gave i think machines are better,.... but in my personal opinion i prefer free weights over machines,.. i do think that machines have a place in the gym aswell,...... i like them for a few things.....
    Thanks,Murph

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I think free weights are best, but machines are better for training a body part that is injured, injury prone, or recovering from an injury.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I like both machines and free weights just to change up the workout. If I had a choose (Free Weights).

Chapman393 is offline Associate Member
    I mix it up machine and free weights. Some machines are geat for isolating certain body parts.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    like LostUp said, free weights force u to use stabilization muscle that machines can not duplicate...

cjp85 is offline Member
    I always start with freeweight and finish the last couple exercises with machines once my strength is gone

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    dumbbells are more fun!

i love dumbells!

I feel that when i use machines that i have better form, i am more stable and can bench a lot more weight than a free weight bench press. I feel stronger on a machine.

Jdog55

of course you feel stronger, cause the machine is helping you do the exercise! it's keeping you from straying out of the path of where your muscle is strongest, so all the stablizing muscles in the movement are being neglected, i'd say you can add at least 50 lbs to any exercise on a smith machine vs. free weight, even the smith's that aren't counter weighted, if you have poor form, work on that, don't be afraid to fail, it's the only way to learn

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    of course you feel stronger, cause the machine is helping you do the exercise! it's keeping you from straying out of the path of where your muscle is strongest, so all the stablizing muscles in the movement are being neglected, i'd say you can add at least 50 lbs to any exercise on a smith machine vs. free weight, even the smith's that aren't counter weighted, if you have poor form, work on that, don't be afraid to fail, it's the only way to learn
    Not only that, but the machine allows you to push in vectors that wouldn't normally be permitted with free weights. For example on the press, you can push down (towards your feet) while lifting, but the weight goes up instead of falling on your crotch.

I also don't feel i'm using free weights to my full potential since i don't bench to my max as i don't have a spotter. I only half heartedly lift the free weights and worry that if i do another rep that i wont be able to get it up to the bar and it will end up falling on me.

Jdog55

Quote Originally Posted by jdog55
    I also don't feel i'm using free weights to my full potential since i don't bench to my max as i don't have a spotter. I only half heartedly lift the free weights and worry that if i do another rep that i wont be able to get it up to the bar and it will end up falling on me.

Jdog55
    I love that... on bench if i can't get the rep, i'll sit it on my chest until i think i can. People will come over, but i'll just tell them to sit it out. I'm doing it on purpose.

jkjk. I know, it's embarrassing. Happened to me a few times.. that's why i'm never afraid to ask for a spot. I usually ask smaller guys taht look like they know what they're doing... because they don't usually mind.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Free weights are best in my opinion, but I usually always add one machine or cable exercise into every workout for a particular muscle group. It just adds a different movement to your repertoire that will shock your muscle into growth.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I have noticed that dumbbell presses are much kinder to my shoulders than barbell, or machines. Just a more natural path when your hands can come together as you get to the top of the press.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    Of course your stronger on a machine, everyone is. But thats not a good thing or anything to brag about. Like they said about Smith machines it takes all your stabilizers out and lets you use all your effort to drive the weight up so yeah you'll push more weight, but you work less muscles. And on other machines they often use levers and pulleys. What levers and pulleys do simply put is take some of the workload off of the person lifting the weight, but in weight lifting that is obviously not a good thing because you want to be the one doing the work and using machines you wont really know the weight you are actually lifting. Machines definatly have their place but I think no matter what situation you name the answer is still going to be use free weights. (unless your hurt)

Thread Information