Thread: Decline Bench

ravaz is offline Associate Member

Decline Bench

Does anyone do Decline BenchPress in here? I see posts about flat bench and incline, but no decline. Just curious.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I do declines when my chest does not respond any more a change is as good as a rest.....

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Oh.....I decline alright...

Love it. Do it up.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Yup I do it as besome said, it is good to mix up your routine sometimes, keeps the muscles in shock.. helps them grow I think..
    In fact, just got done subin them into my chest routine tonight, instead of doing incline. I personally like to do dips for lower chest, but I still am up in the air if they are effective on the lower chest, I have heard mixed reviews. I still do them just in case.. they feel good and again, mixes up the ole routine..

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, reason why I was asking is because my work out partner, well former work out partner, made me do it every time we did chest, so for some reason, my lower chest developed more than my middle and upper, like on upper we would do incline dumbells, while everything else was barbell, but that wasn't building any mass for me, so im like hold up, im gona have bitch tits if I keep this up lol Anyway, thanks for the responses!

maximized is offline Junior Member
    I do decline every other chest workout and i do them first. I get a great pump when i do. I read in Muscular Development that decline uses more of your chest than any other chest exercise (96%) compared to flat bench (93%) not that thats a big difference, heh, but hey, every little bit helps maximize your body.

peace

-max

Capital X is offline Associate Member

I decline to decline

I used to do decline when I was younger but I have made much more progress with inclines and flat bench. I think having a thick upper chest looks better than a thick lower chest that you will get from declines. Personnaly I think you look like you have a firm set of breasts after awhile and imagine if you took a lay off. That chest would start to sag.

Capital X

Well, my arch is so bad that it looks like I’m doing decline. Personally I’ve never felt that decline was any better than flat bench. If I am doing the bench properly, (press on an inward arc, starting at lower chest and ending with the bar over my eyes and flexing and squeezing at the top) then I think that lower chest exercises are not necessary. I also find it harder on the shoulder joints than regular press.

syo202 is offline New Member

Re: I decline to decline

Originally posted by Capital X
    I used to do decline when I was younger but I have made much more progress with inclines and flat bench. I think having a thick upper chest looks better than a thick lower chest that you will get from declines. Personnaly I think you look like you have a firm set of breasts after awhile and imagine if you took a lay off. That chest would start to sag.

Capital X

I agree with Capital X. I used to do it, but not anymore. Incline and flat do the job pretty well.

-Thomas

MeBoach is offline New Member
    I used to do declines but everyone I know talks so much shit about them. I guess I'll ignore those nay-sayers and just do it to shock the ol' receptors.

goldenarm10 is offline New Member

declines

declines are nice for a change. but i believe the bigger part of the chest is the upper so declines are not totally necessary. i know a few guys that never do them and they have huge chests.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Declines are for guys who can't do heavy dips !. Try finishing your chest routine with dips instead of declines next time and you'll never do declines again.

Bouncer

Psycoswole is offline Member
    I just try to stay proportional. If i notice my upper chest is overpowering my lower chest ill throw in some declines for a few weeks, and vice versa. Hey Bounce i finish my tricep routine with dips, great way to add some definition.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Try wide grip, chin up dips for your chest next time. Narrow grip and chin to your chest for mass on your triceps.

Bouncer

Psycoswole is offline Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip bounce. I never thought about keeping my chin up during dips. Too bad my crappy gym doesnt have a wide grip dip setup

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Originally posted by maximized
    I do decline every other chest workout and i do them first. I get a great pump when i do. I read in Muscular Development that decline uses more of your chest than any other chest exercise (96%) compared to flat bench (93%) not that thats a big difference, heh, but hey, every little bit helps maximize your body.

peace

-max
    Makes sense since you can usually go heavier with declines. I mix em in every now and then, but I find that I can hit the lower pecs equally as well by doing flys and manipulating the movement just enough to hit em. This involves rotating the pinkies in a bit and contracting at the sternum. Superset em with dips and it's a nice pump.

-LLB

Thread Information