timmz11 is offline Junior Member

Question do you go up in weight each set?

hey guys..i was wondering when u all lift...if u went up in weight each set?
    or if u jus do one weight as many reps as possible between 6-10 for a number of sets?
    thanx bro;s..hit me back

LM1332 Guest
    You must increase the weight if you want your muscles to grow. For me the best thing is 4 sets of 8-4 reps. each set i increase the weight but lower reps

singern is offline Banned

increased weights

[QUOTE=50%animal]You must increase the weight if you want your muscles to grow. For me the best thing is 4 sets of 8-4 reps. each set i increase the weight but lower reps[/QUOTE

I use the same weight for all four sets of an exercise,
    When you increase weight how do you determin the starting weight, I would like to try this.
    Thanks.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    when i left i'll use the same weight for each set. next workout, i'll either try to add weight or reps (usually weight)

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=singern]
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%animal
    You must increase the weight if you want your muscles to grow. For me the best thing is 4 sets of 8-4 reps. each set i increase the weight but lower reps[/QUOTE

I use the same weight for all four sets of an exercise,
    When you increase weight how do you determin the starting weight, I would like to try this.
    Thanks.
    when you've lifted awhile you know what you need to start with to hit a certain number of reps.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO the key is to keep the muscle your working from becoming use to your routine......I do many different sets, reps, etc..........sometimes I pyramid up in weight and drop the reps(ex:10, 8, 6, 4).......I might just pick 5 reps and start with a weight and add 10 lbs until I cant't do 5 reps.....I have done 10 sets of 3 reps(with same weight and even dropping some weight to get the 3 reps)......about once every other month I'll do decending sets(ex: start this with a weight u can only get for one, drop 10 lbs-get as many reps as possible, continue to drop in 10lb incraments for a total of 4-5 sets).

mfenske is offline Member
    After warming up I stick with the same weight. With that weight I aim for a certain number of reps and sets. For instance today with incline presses I used 85lb dumbbells. I was aiming for 3 sets of 6. I made it. Next week I will try for the same with the 90's. Mark

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I try to go up each week but you have to listen to your body. Its all about avoiding injury. I went up 5lbs on dumbell inclines and sprained my wrist setting them down so I have been screwed for 3 weeks on alot of exercises. Just starting back now at 20% lower weights and will try to work my way back up over the next month very slowly so not to reinjure the wrist.

LM1332 Guest
    yea its true. it all depends on a person too. some like to pyramid up some like to chill at the same weight

monkeyjuice is offline Member
    + 10x to warm-up....
    Add weight 8x
    Add Weight 6x
    Add Weight 5x
    Add Weight 4x to failure

still growin is offline Member
    I always go up in weight, like a half pyramid. I choose a weight i can do 10-12 reps for the first set. Then a weight that I can do no more than 8-9 times, and up again until I can only do 6-7 reps until failure. Bigger muscles require larger weight differences, and arms can be as little as 5lbs a set.

There are many types of progressions to improve your size and strength. The easiest is to try to get 1 more rep at the same weight each week. After you can do 12 reps at a weight, add 5lbs and try to get 9-10. Then next week do one more rep, and so on. It would look like this for example:

week one

10 reps 85lbs
    8 95
    6 105

week two
    11 85
    9 95
    7 105

week three
    12 85
    10 95
    8 105

week four
    10 90
    8 100
    6 110

It may not look like you make gains quickly, but when is the last time you went up 20lbs on your max in 6 weeks?

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    I always go up in weight as well. This has always worked awesome for me.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to do the same weights for all sets a long time ago. Now I increase the weight by 10 lbs each set until I hit the set of 2xs. Then I decrease the weights by 10 lbs each set until I come back to where I started. Usually 6-7 sets
    Not sure if it works better but that is the way I have been doing it.

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    I use the same weight during a workout, but I increase the weight and decrease the reps each week usually on a 12 week cycle

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I pyramide on most excercises.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I almost always pyramid. IMO it is the best way to gauge your progress.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I warm up, then do a light set, and then do 2 heavy sets of 8 reps, and the den do super heavy set of 6 reps. I like that, I dont ever pyramid, this is when I wanna grow

Thread Information